Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I´ve bought an HP Probook 4730s with a preinstalled Windows 7 Professional 64 bits.

I want to downgrade to a Windows 7 Professional 32 bits. How can I do it?

Thanks,

Jose C. Martin

Spain

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

Here is one option you could use.

Before trying the following, make sure you can still read the Activation key on your Windows COA label ( 5 blocks of 5 alpha/numeric sets ).

First, click the Start Menu, open Computer and double-click Local Disk C - you should see a folder called swsetup.  This will contain all the driver installers and practically all of the software installers for your notebook - back this up to an external device/media.

You can create an installation disc yourself using another PC - just download the correct Disc Image ( this must be the exactly same OS that originally came with your notebook, but the 32bit version ) from the link below and use an application such as ImgBurn to burn the ISO correctly to a blank DVD - a guide on using ImgBurn to write an ISO to a disc is Here.  These Images are clean and from a well-respected source, however there are only limited versions available.

Windows-7 sp1-iso-official-32-bit-and-64-bit

Use the disc to perform the installation, enter the Windows activation key found on the COA Label when requested and when the installation has completed, use the 'Phone Method' detailed in the link below to activate the OS - this method supported by Microsoft and is popular with people who just want a clean installation of Windows 7 without the additional software load normally bundled with OEM installations.

http://www.kodyaz.com/articles/how-to-activate-windows-7-by-phone.aspx

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Windows Insider MVP

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hi,

Before trying the following, make sure you can still read the Activation key on your Windows COA label ( 5 blocks of 5 alpha/numeric sets ).

First, click the Start Menu, open Computer and double-click Local Disk C - you should see a folder called swsetup.  This will contain all the driver installers and practically all of the software installers for your notebook - back this up to an external device/media.

You can create an installation disc yourself using another PC - just download the correct Disc Image ( this must be the exactly same OS that originally came with your notebook, but the 32bit version ) from the link below and use an application such as ImgBurn to burn the ISO correctly to a blank DVD - a guide on using ImgBurn to write an ISO to a disc is Here.  These Images are clean and from a well-respected source, however there are only limited versions available.

Use the disc to perform the installation, enter the Windows activation key found on the COA Label when requested and when the installation has completed, use the 'Phone Method' detailed in the link below to activate the OS - this method supported by Microsoft and is popular with people who just want a clean installation of Windows 7 without the additional software load normally bundled with OEM installations.

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

Is that link contains HP OEM? I dont think so. If you downgrade from HP Win 7 64 to 32 using original HP Windows 7 32 bits.iso, you shouldn't have to use phone method to activate the windows. Because once you installed your windows using the original HP OEM of Windows 7 32 bits, your computer's windows will activate automatically once your computer is connected to internet. And you will see HP logo in your system properties. Activating windows using phone method by calling Microsoft is such a waste of time.

HP Recommended

@DavidPK wrote:

Hi,

Regards,

DP-K

Hello First, thank you for the time you've devoted yourself to me . I bought a laptop probook 6550b . The mistake I made up the laptop hard drive format . Now I do not have any CD or backup of Windows . Windows 7 Ultimate 32 -bit operating system my laptop . What should I do? Can you help me ? Link that lets you download a hard top . Please link 's new if you leave the windows 7 x32 ultimate sp1 . Thanks
HP Recommended
Bravo dear
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.