Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

hello,

i'm not at all confident with laptops as such, and a few keys on my laptop have stopped working and i'm havin to use an onscreen keyboard in conjunction with my actual keyboard. from some searces it would appear this is a common problem with my laptop.

my laptop is two years old, i haven't spilled anyting on it or damaged it in any way that i can think of. i dont have the time or money to have it sent away, as i'm studying out of the country and can't have it sent home etc. 

i was just wanting to make sure that if i bought a usb keyboard this would still most likely work with this kind of problem?

15 REPLIES 15
HP Recommended

Hi,

An external usb keyboard should work fine.

Regarding your notebooks keyboard, it may be worth trying the following.

Shut down the notebook, unplug the AC Adapter and then remove the battery.  Hold  down the Power button for 30 seconds.  Re-insert the battery and plug in the AC Adapter.

Tap away at the esc key as you start the notebook to launch the Start-up Menu and then select f10 to enter the bios menu.  Press f5 to load the defaults ( this is sometimes f9, but the menu at the bottom will show the correct key ), use the arrow keys to select 'Yes' and hit enter.  Press f10 to save the setting and again use the arrow keys to select 'Yes' and hit enter.

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

thanks i saw that as a solution when i was googling the problem, the only thing is my battery is completely dead anyway, and i jusr run my laptop from mains power, so would it even be worth attmpting that as a solution? sorry, my laptop just sounds worse and worse...

thank you for the reply.

HP Recommended

Hi,

You're welcome and it's certainly still worth trying as it will dispel any residual current in the MB components which can cause this issue - the same is true for resetting the bios defaults.

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

I tried this solution and it worked wonderfully.  So grateful.  Do you know how many words have g or h in them or how much we use the backspace keys.  

HP Recommended

i tried this but still not working. My keys which are not working are 5,6 F2

HP Recommended
kindly suggest me something
HP Recommended

Hello Talhachohan,

You state keys 5,6, F2 do not work, is that correct? I will be happy to help you.

Just to confirm you tried what @DavidPK, suggested above is that correct?

Can you please provide the full model of the laptop you have, if you are not sure where to locate that information have a look at this document for help.

Please respond back at your earliest convenience.

Thanks

Clicking the White Kudos star on the left is a way to say Thanks!

Clicking the 'Accept as Solution' button is a way to let others know which steps helped solve the problem!
HP Recommended

Hello, I ave te same problem over a week now.

g and h does not work - only if you press 3-4 times hard.

Are this only way?

HP Recommended
So I have the touchsmart tm2 and also having keyboard issues. The g h apostrophe and backspace dont work at all. I tried what you told the other person but I could not into the start up menu to then get to f10 button. Help?
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.