Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

i am struggling to get my Compaq NX9010 to boot from a bootable USB key. maybe the bios does not suppor it, does anyone know if there is an update or a method to do it?

thanks

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi:

When I look at the service manual it shows that it can boot from a "removable device."

It does not specifically state bootable USB key.

I know it can boot from a USB FDD but I don't know about a USB key.

Looking at all the BIOS release notes, none address booting from any kind of USB device.

I would venture to guess if you are not selecting "boot from removable device" by tapping the F9 key on the HP welcome screen, then that notebook is too old to support such a thing.

Paul

HP Recommended

thanks paul, i was kinda expecting it would be too old.. i was clinging to a hope that there was some solution.. thanks 🙂

HP Recommended

You're welcome.

Sorry there isn't a solution I know of to fix the issue.

Paul

HP Recommended

This answer comes a bit late, but might be useful for those who still want to know.

It is possible to boot from a bootable USB key.

1) I used the free/open-source "Image Writer for Windows" (https://launchpad.net/win32-image-writer ) to write an iso image (linux distro) on my thumb drive. (Note: they say it only writes *.img images, but chose *.* to find and select an iso image).

2) When booting, press F2 to enter BIOS setup, and go to the Boot configuration section.

What is important here is that they thumb drive will be found under the Hard Drive list, and not the Removable Devices.

Select Hard Drive, press Enter, and you should see your hard drive and thumb drive listed. Use F5 or F6 to put the thumb drive on top to give it priority.

3) Save and exit the BIOS setup, and reboot. You NX9010 should now boot the thumb drive.

Note that when booting and pressing ESC to show the boot menu, selecting Hard Drive and pressing Enter does not show me a list to select from; this is why I have to go into BIOS setup. I hope this helped.

HP Recommended

My friend, you'ne to leave open out your optical drive unit and swicht while in windows

an USB optical drive. Then you reboot and when the screenn appears press Escape. Wait the large boot description and wait that the starting options are show in the screen. Thus choice optical drive (also could try external devices) and the installation CD will start its work. Greetings.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.