Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

how to resolve plugged in, not charging? probook 4520s

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Are you using the origial power adapter that arrived with your notebook?

Follow the instructions in this HP document to troubleshoot the power adapter.

Have you performed the battery test diagnostic to see if the battery is still good?

Are you able to remove the battery, plug in the power adapter and boot into your Windows operating system?

Is your notebook still within its standard warranty? (Most ProBooks come with a 3 year standard limited warranty)

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

hi erico,

thaks for your post

I am using original adapter, that is included in the sales package.

I bought a new original battery cause I though it was battery problem but when I replaced the battery it's still same problem.

I already tried these steps but the problem still exist;

Disconnect AC, Shutdown, Remove battery
Connect AC
Startup (w/o battery)
Open Device Manager
Expand Batteries category & right-click all of the "Microsoft ACPI Compliant Control Method Battery" listings (ok if only 1)
Select Uninstall
Click OK to confirm
Expand System Devices.
Right-click the “ACPI Fixed Features Button" and select Uninstall.
Click OK to confirm
Shutdown, Disconnect AC, Insert battery
Connect AC
Restart the machine

My notebook is none warranty cause I bought it in KSA, I'm from Philippines and I think it is already out of warranty in KSA cause it was almost 1 year.

Any idea how to resolve this problem? Please..

Thanks in advance. 

HP Recommended

Have you followed all of the troubleshooting steps in the document that I linked to?

There are far more things to check than what you have done so far. I don't see the point of my asking you each step at a time when they are are conveniently written on one document.

One of the few things that is not listed on the document is the possible failure of the multichemistry charging chip chip on the notebook system board that controls charging. If that chip has failed, then replacement of the systemboard would be the normal option. Of course you could have the chip replaced.

If I were you, I would look at the warranty options that are available.

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

My notebook is none warranty because I bought it in KSA. I'm from Philippines. I am very far in the point of HP authorized service center.

I tried all stated in your link.

I'm thinking if it is a board problem, that will cost a one unit right?

My notebook is 1 year and 2 months old but not very well used.

Very disappointed. .

HP Recommended

Hi had same problem, fan running non stop, battery connected but not charging or just no light and 'not connected' running out of charge then never getting beyond 30%. Tried all the fixes but no change.Charging light was intermittent but fan ran when plugged in-all the time.

Eventually battery fail came up so bought new battery, followed all proceedures with no success.

Then I borrowed another HP charger to check if mine was faulty. This was charging but very slowly. My friend's HP was only working when connected to the charger and did not go past the openning screen with mine attached. Thought I had found the problem...

Fiddled with the connector and still charging slowly. Turned off, removed cable, removed battery and held down the on button for 20 seconds and then put battery back in connected charger and turned on...connected and charging, slowly.

I then had to return the charger and so reconnected my 'faulty' one........now connected and charging but still slowly.

Left it for a few hours and when I checked again 100% battery which has not happened for months!

So far it is now working as it should, I was looking to buy a new laptop, and now , hopefully solved the problem.

HP Recommended

You did uninstall the correct device.

If the battery won't charge and you are able to use the notebook with only the power adapter, the battery is probably toast. 

Batteries, no matter which manufacturer, are only warrantied for one year.

Purchase a compatible battery, with a warranty, from a vendor and install it. That should resolve the charging issue.  

If it does not, that means that there is a failure of the charging and power distribution circuit on the notebook's system board. That would require a system board replacement to resolve. 

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.