Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Mine got that problem for months. I tried all the advices from HP forum but I even baked my motherboard in the oven but no, it totally dead. Unhappy with HP product...Probably I will not consider to buy HP Laptop or Desktop again.  Thanks.

HP Recommended
I also have the Pavillion dv7 laptop. I tried the hard reset and hitting F8 and it isn't working. Laptop turns on and sounds like it's starting up but screen stays black. There are blinking lights by the caps lock key and just above the side panel of numbers. Any help would be great! I just used the laptop not long ago and it worked fine. Now this happens. And it has 14 yrs of pics of my 4 kids 😬
HP Recommended
Your pics are on your hard drive, your motherboard has nothing to do with anything saved.
HP Recommended
Seriously?! I know that and that was not the whole point. I want to know what I can do to get my laptop to work. If you don't have an answer to that, please don't comment.
HP Recommended

It is most likely a motherboard that should be replaced. Cost can be an issue with an outdated unit, but if the pictures are priceless, you may not have much choice.

Other alternatives require some tech skills, such as extracting content from the hard drive to another unit that is still operating.

This assumes that the hard drive is still working as it appears to be.

Do you hear the fan, or any spinning when you startup?

HP Recommended
Yes I hear the fan and spinning when I turn it on.
HP Recommended

The cost of replacing the motherboard may be more than what your unit is worth.

If you have access to another machine, you can transfer your content with utilities such as PCMover

https://store.laplink.com/59/purl-harddrive-transfer-bundle

Motherboard problems appear to be consistent issue on DV7, hopefully HP  has fixed this, but it still appears. 

HP Recommended

I got similar problem, i could connect second screen and on the second everything works fine, but laptop's screen was stil black. hard restart + f8 worked 🙂 thanks !!

HP Recommended

your tech support links are all  failed links that redirect to the support page start page its annoying

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.