Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Im currently looking at purchasing an hp stream and see that it only comes with 2 gb ram onboard. Is it possible to upgrade this? If so, what type of ram does this machine take and what would the maximum amount of ram be ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

The manual says:

On-board, non-accessible, non-upgradeable DDR3L-1333MHz single channel support (DDR3L-1600 downgraded to DDR3L-1333). Supports up to 2 GB maximum on-board system memory

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Hi,

The manual says:

On-board, non-accessible, non-upgradeable DDR3L-1333MHz single channel support (DDR3L-1600 downgraded to DDR3L-1333). Supports up to 2 GB maximum on-board system memory

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Then why does the Task Manager say "Slots used: 1 of 2" in the Memory section?  Has anyone opened one of these up yet?

HP Recommended

I put in an SD card in the rear of the tablet. Can this card boost RAM or performance other than storage?

HP Recommended

I have a Stream 11, big story here is RAM for sure or lack of RAM. Would not be so bad if HP had installed a 32 bit Windows 8.1 but they chose to install a 64 bit OS? Cannot understand this with only 2GB RAM.  No, there is no way to add RAM and the slot that is unpopulated is really on the mtherboard and simply does not have a RAM module soldered to it. I imagine the board is used elsewhere and maybe uses that other RAM position.  I personally got tired of the storage running out and install Ubuntu which is more intune with what hardware the Stream has. Not saying WIndows 8.1 is bad, just saying HP made a incorrect choice with a 64 bit Windows and only 2GB RAM and a small SSD drive. Not a good combo. 

HP Recommended

I would pick something other than the HP Stream. I got one about a month ago and the 2 gig ram is just to small for most things. I have trouble with streaming videos from hulu or netflix, even youtube. What happins is that the videos and sound will slow down to less than half speed. It just goes into slow motion. The only way to fix this is to turn the notebook off and then restart it. This happins alot and is very, very annoying. Now I find out that you cant upgrade the ram to more than 2 gigs and this makes the HP stream next to worthless for me. I got it to stream from the ubove sites, more for entertanment than anything else. Its not worth the 200 dollars I payed.

HP Recommended

I would just put up the extra money and stay away from the stream. I m having a lot of problems with mine.

HP Recommended

I had exactly the same thing!

HP Recommended
These laptops are great for kids first laptop, x64 is still a better os than x86 (32 bit) the ram lets the laptop down not the software. The truth is 32 bit can't see more than 3gb, makes no difference if you run 64 bit on 2gb. Its a processor architecure, not sure why 32 bit still exists honestly.
HP Recommended
Hp suck our lifes They motherboard peple idoits have no mind to think that common people who buy this only to waste of money i stuck Not sell it on shop with suitable price and am not work adobe like heavy working on it its hang thy **bleep**ed our lifes why they do that to not built a slot for ram Why they not Put atleast 100GB they proved that they hve also a 32GB storage in theirs minds that's why the put 32Gb in laptop
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.