Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

My Hp pavilion dv4- 2145dx and my laptop screens stays black but the key board stays on like the caps lock and the number lock, the mouse, volume, and the wifi light they all turn on and so do the fans but the caps and num lock blink every second at this point i dotn know what to do can anyone help 

47 REPLIES 47
HP Recommended

Hi,

First, try a Hard Reset as follows.

Shut down the notebook, unplug the AC Adapter and then remove the battery.  Hold  down the Power button for a full minute.  Re-insert the battery, plug in the AC Adapter and see if the notebook will start.

If it still doesn't start, is there a sequence to the 'blinks' that you can match to the table below?

Capture.PNG

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

This issue sounds like a ATI chipset failure which means your motherboard needs a reflow or repair.  The blinking light is the error code for onboard diagnostics.  In some rare cases you will see the chipsets are not the only issue as the RAM or the processor may be involved.  The processor has been stepped down in these systems by HP from an AMD Turion X64 found in the DV2000, DV6000, and DV9000 systems to an AMD Turion chipset found in the DV4, DV7 series to resolve the heat and the failure of the processor from it.

{content removed}

HP Recommended

Hi based on my lights codes the graphic controller is not good. what is the next step to repair that?

HP Recommended

I HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM IS JUST MY LAPTOP HAS NO BATTERY  AND IT HAS BEEN USING THE AC CORD FOR QUITE SOMETIME NOW,  IT SHOWS THE SAME THING JUST THAT MY NUMBER LOCK AND CAPS LOCK SHOWS CONTINOUS BLINKING OF THE LIGTHS EVERY TEN SECONDS AND THE LIST GIVEN SAYS YOUR AC LED LIGHT BUT THAT LIGHT IS STAND STILL NO BLINKING I NEED HELP DONT KNOW WHAT TO DO MY LAPTOP IS A DV4-2145DX

HP Recommended

Hi I have the same problem but the lights indicated i have a memory problem. Is there any way to fix that? Can i do a hard reboot and restore factory settings? If not aproximatly how much will it cost to get fixed?

HP Recommended

Hi!!! I HAVE THE SAME SAME SAME PROBLEM.

MY LAPTOP IS HTP PAVILION DV4 AND I HAS NOT BATTERY AND FOR A LONG TIME I USED THE AC CORD.

THEN, TODAY MY LAPTOP CANT START UP.

THE BLOCK MAYUS AND BLOCK NUM IS BLINKING EVERY TEN SECOND AND FOR A CONTINOUS TIMES.

PLEASE TELL ME WHAT HAPPENED WITH YOUR LAPTOP ....

WHAT IS THE PROBLEM... ?

I TEST WITH ANOTHER AC CORD ADAPTER AND NOTHING.

I TEST WITH ANOTHER BATTERY AND NOTHING.

THANKS FOR YOUR REPLYS...

HP Recommended

My laptop has the continuos blinking. I dont know if i should buy a new ac adapter since it apparently charges my battery enough to do the same as if it was just the ac adapter, or should i just let some one take a look at it. What should i do?

HP Recommended

Hi,

i have hp pavillion dv4 and the screen has a blackout but all the keyboard lights and led lights are working .. as u mentioned whether how many times the caps lock and num lock led lights blink .. to that i can say that the caps and num led lights blink  four times continuous then a small 1 second pause then again four times and so on.. now if you can explain whats the exact problem..??

HP Recommended

I have a Hp Pavillion DV4-1225dx laptop. I have sent this in for repairs a half a dozen times. My latest issue was the caps lock and numbers lock blinking. It would blink a series of 4 times. I thought it was the motherboard, again.  It meant the graphics controller not functioning. Hp said they no longer service this model. I just knew I was screwed.  Every computer shop I checked cost too much to fix, I might as well by a new laptop. Then, I browsed the web through my HTC evo looking for solutions.  Someone advised me to remove one of the 2GB memory from the memory port. I removed the top memory stick and when I powered it up, it was the same thing. Then I removed the bottom stick and only left the top stick in, and it powered up normally. I couldn't believe this totally fixed my issue. There is still something wrong, but for the time being........ It works perfect. I don't have 4 GB right now because I removed the 2GB stick, but I'm going to buy 1 -4GB stick and put it in the slot that works and it will give it 4GB, just like it supposed to be. I hope this works for everyone, My laptop sat up in my top closet for months.  I'm actually using my DV4-1225dx right now.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.