Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
pavilion dv6-1122us
Microsoft Windows XP (64-bit)

the screen is black, the led nights blink and the hard drive appears to be working. 

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hi

Try the steps below

http://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c01684768

Hope this helps.

***** Click the Thumbs UP (Like) on the Right to say 'Thanks'*****

****Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer “Accept as Solution”&"Thumbs up "if it solves your problem.****

-VJ

Although I am an HP Employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.

HP Recommended

After that if it is still the same try the steps in the link below

http://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c01997899

Hope this helps.

****Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer “Accept as Solution”&"Thumbs up "if it solves your problem.****

-VJ

HP Recommended

Thank you for your assistance and advice, however, none of these suggestions work. How would I know if the problem is an internal issue? 

HP Recommended

Hi  there

Please try BIOS recovery by tapping Win + B key together and then press the power button. keep it pressed for couple of seonds, Relase all the three keys and see if you get any display.

Please connect an external monitor on the unit and check if there is any display

also check tapping caps lock key and see if it responds,

If both the above steps works, then issue could be with the cable or the display panel .

If the caps lock doesnt respond, then it could be the system board.

Regards

Jyo
I am an HP employee
Please click the White Kudos star to say thanks for helping.
Please mark Accept As Solution if my help has solved your problem.

HP Recommended

You can try reseting the components 

I found the manuals

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c01744837

For example you can try reseting the HDD follow Page 57/58

Hope this helps.

-VJ

HP Recommended

I tried your suggestion for BIOS recovery, and tapping the caps lock key and I still get the dark screen, plus the led lights and the hdd seems to be spinning. 

Thank you for your assistance. Do you have any other suggestions? 

HP Recommended

I tried resetting both the HDD and also the memory modules. 

The problem persists. 

By the way, thank you for the Manual. 

Do you have any other suggestions. 

I am working on this laptop using only the power cord since the battery seems not to work. However when I put the battery back in, the light below the lightning symbol goes on - even though the computer does not run with just the battery. Is this normal? 

In addition, the light that's located where I plug the power cord into the computer goes on only for about a second or two and then turns off. Would this affect the performance of the computer?

I'm beginning to think that there might be something wrong with the graphics card since (1) the computer will not work with an external monitor, and (2) none of the solutions (hard reset, resetting the BIOS, etc.,) seem to work. What are your thoughts?

Would the fact that the computer was not used for about six months have anything to do with its operation?

If I consult with a HP Technician, what would they check that I have not?

Thanks again for your help. 

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.