Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

recently my hp dv9812us crashed and won't seem to work

when i turn it on and it loads up and no operating system would appear

i used the bios hard drive test and it just says no ide device detected

i took it out and connected using a usb to my other pc and i can access the drive

i put it in the secondary slot and it would show up in the bios

so i'm wondering wat could be wrong with it here?

someone help plzz and thank you

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

Have you tried reinstalling it in the laptop? Sometimes a loose connection can cause the problem. It could also be bad, not bad enough that it won't show up as a secondary drive but too bad to boot an OS from. If that is the case, you will have to replace it and boot from your Recovery Disk set to reinstall Windows.

**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue**
***Click the "YES" button if you think this response was helpful.***

HP Recommended

I agree with Cheryl, try to reinstall it and see if the connection was loose. If still no luck, plug it back in to your USB adapter  into the other computer and copy a large file back and forth, like a movie, or a bunch of files. I want to know if it fails after a short time, a possible bad hard drive. The hard drive could have an issue that will prevent it from booting an OS but still be usable as a storage device. Run checkdisk or a similar program on it.

Double check your BiOS setting and back sure that something did not get that messed up. If you are unsure, you can reset the BiOS back to factory settings.

HP Recommended

i have try removing and reinstalling it back into the primary hard drive slot it just won't show up

in the secondary slot it shows up so i ran a hard drive test from the bios and it passed the test so i'm thinking the hard drive should be fine

so it might be the connection on the motherboard that might be the problem

i sadly misplaced my Recovery Disk so that won't be a option for me until i could find them

HP Recommended

I am curious - what exactly are you describing as the primary hard drive slot and the secondary slot? 

The info I can find lists this unit as having a single 250g hard drive, 3g RAM and a lightscribe optical drive with Vista or XP.

There should be a cover on the back with usually 2 screws that covers the hard drive since this is a 17 inch unit. Any chance you could take a picture and post it to flickr.com or filefront.com or photobucket.com so I can see what you are looking at, the locations of the primary and secondary slots? I can only see a listing for a single hard drive in this model.

Thanks!

HP Recommended

Had the same issue: After display of  "Operating System Not Found", wnet into bios to check hdd and got "No IDE Device."

Sloved it by holding control alt escape while booting.

Now I'm 2good2go.

Good Luck!

HP Recommended
I have tried everything and i cant fix it everything i try just doest work
HP Recommended

I'm having the same issue, probably same model. I found others with the same problem and all seems related. 

see: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/68039-35-dv9700-primary-disk-drive-recognized#bas

HP Recommended

Hi Everyone,

The only solution to this problem is getting an Operating system Re-Installtion.So pick up your phone dial the customer service and order an Operating System CD....Re-install the Operating System and the problem would be fixed.I have tried it many a times and it worked for me.

Revert back for any queries or clarifications.

Highest Regards,

Vharris Khan

Sr.Technician

#Iwork4Dell.

HP Recommended
My hp saying no IDE device what doze thay mean
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.