Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

hi,

i recently purchased a hp probook 6560b and wanted to give it an upgrade by replacing the standard 500gb 7200rpm hdd with a 120gb force gt ssd. but the notebook doesn't recognize the ssd at all, it says no drive is installed. the notebook has the latest bios available and the ssd has the most recent firmware. i know the ssd isn't defective because it works just fine in my desktop pc.

hopefully one of you guys can help me out.

thanks in advance.

185 REPLIES 185
HP Recommended

When the BIOS doesn't detect an ssd, it's probably caused by the voltage of the ssd. I have noticed that some Probooks and Elitebooks have this issue but nobody could find a proper solution. I would contact the BIOS manufacturer.. 

Asus ROG STRIX G16 Manjaro Xfce
HP Touchpad provided by HP
HP Microserver Gen8 10TB Debian Server

*Please, help other users with the same issue by marking your solved topics as "Accept as Solution"*
HP Recommended

it seems that the new sandforce controller in the corsair force gt is having compatability issues with certain models of hp's probook and elitebook series. i'll probabbly have to get an intel ssd as they seem to be compatible.

HP Recommended

bump. anyone else having the same issue with an ssd with sandforce controller?

HP Recommended

Did not work with a Intel SSD 510 either...

HP Recommended

do you know an ssd that is compatible with the probook 6560b? all the drives with sandforce 2 controllers are incompatible.

HP Recommended

I have a Probook 6560b and a Intel 510 120Gb ssd. BIOS cannot find the drive either.

I was online talking to the HP support for quite someThe first guy promised it would work after upgrading the firmware of the ssd as well as the Probook. The upgrade of the firmware from F04 to F06 worked, but there is no upgrade firmware for the ssd 510 Series (the link I was provided was for the X25 and 320 series...) at this point (2011-08-26).

Still did not work.

The second guy just plainly stated that its not a HP supported ssd - dont expect it to work.

Well maybe not, but it is the first time a HD of any kind has not worked for me.

Turns out that some Macs have had issues as well, but there it has more been about getting bad performance and unreliability with the 510 - and the issue is likely to be that the cable is not rated for the transfer speeds.

Not finding it at all is in my opinion way worse, and once this gets more commonly known I think HP will have problems selling laptops...

HP Recommended

same here. i also updated the bios from f04 to f06 and updated the ssd firmware but it still doesn't get recognized.

i'd like to know which ssd drives are actually supported by hp, because i like the notebook but i really want an ssd in it.

HP Recommended

bump. anyone?

HP Recommended
Our company has a large number of 6560b machines and we came very close to buying aftermarket SSDs for them all.

As it turned out we just bought 2 Kingston HyperX (SF2281 controller) drives to test and encountered the same issue as described above.

HP said they don't support third party gear while Kingston had us confirm firmware and BIOS updates to no effect but were at least helpful.

We have got a Kingston SSDNow V+ drive that works with the 6560b but is a substantially slower device. While both Kingston products are rated at 5VDC 1Amp the V+ consumes 3.4W and the HyperX 2.05W

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.