Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
dv6-7210us
Microsoft Windows 8 (64-bit)

My laptop had a bad Hard Drive so i put a new one in and purchased usb recovery drive from hp.com. I install OS but it fails at end of installation while installing drivers. I have taken pics of screen when it fails. i believe the usb file is corrupt. I ran HP utilities test on HD and it passes.

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Hi @sjdejr,

Is there any error message that you are getting when running the recovery? 

When does the recovery installation fail? 

Does it complete with the installation? and when it asks you to restart the unit, please remove the USB, otherwise it will reboot to the USB and get into a loop mode. 

I am an HP employee.

Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer “Accept as Solution” if it solves your problem.

***Click on “Thumbs Up” STAR to say thanks!***
HP Recommended

hp1.jpg

HP Recommended

it does not complete installation. I have tried 5 different times with same result.

HP Recommended

Hi:

See if making your own plain W8 installation media works...

This file will work with the W8 OEM product key in your notebook's BIOS.

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B0W9PBigPy94aVJWSndyTFNFMzg/edit?pli=1

Use this tool to transfer the ISO file to a 4 GB or higher USB flash drive or DVD.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/windows-usb-dvd-download-tool

Then go to your notebook's support and driver page to install the drivers and available software you need.

If that works, I would suggest you contact HP and see how you can get a refund for the recovery media you purchased.

HP Recommended

Hi @sjdejr, you can also call HP Tech support and get a replacement of the recovery media. 

I am an HP employee.

Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer “Accept as Solution” if it solves your problem.

***Click on “Thumbs Up” STAR to say thanks!***
HP Recommended

ok i will try. once i have installed and it asks for product key where in bios does it exist?

HP Recommended

thank u

HP Recommended

Hi:

You won't need to enter the product key.

The key will automatically be picked up from the BIOS and populated, where you would normally type in the key from a product key label.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.