Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

My apologies for my misinterpretation. For some reason, I interpreted "it came with 4 disc" to mean the system came with 4 discs instead of the recovery disk kit.

See if you are able to activate the wifi card at the start of the recovery before clicking the final begin button. However, it is looking more and more likely the workaround will be the more optimal approach.

Signature
↙-----------How do I give Kudos?| How do I mark a post as Solved? ----------------↓
HP Recommended

cloud read my previous post i updated it with info and yes i made the disc for the workaround but i need advice.

HP Recommended

The upgrade/update option would be for scenarios where there is already an operating system installed.  Provided that the recovery attempts previously did not wipe the operating system, there should be a copy of Windows remaining for the upgrade/update option to work.  Personally, I prefer the custom option to perform a clean install of Windows 7.  This site has more information regarding the various installation methods for Windows 7.  This detailed guide covers how to perform a clean install should you choose that path.

Signature
↙-----------How do I give Kudos?| How do I mark a post as Solved? ----------------↓
HP Recommended

thats all i needed to know. i will let you know the results later!!!. 

Oh and one other thing cloud when it says "where do you want to instal windows?", it gives me four options.

Disk 0 Unallocated Space      

Disk 0 Partition 1

Disk 0 Partition 2: SDV

Disk 0 Unallocated Space

Edit:Nevermind :TongueOut:

HP Recommended

I'll keep an eye out for your reply.  🙂

Signature
HP Recommended

alright everything went well except that my wifi light is still amber and i tried to connect to some networks but it said "windows did not detect a properly installed network adapter. If you have a network adapter, you will need to re-install the driver.

plus my keyboard and mouse pad are not functioning properly but from a previous person he sent me a hotfix for my keyboard.

HP Recommended

Since a retail version of Windows 7 is installed, you will need to install the HP drivers for the system.  They were linked to earlier, but I'll provide the link for your convenience. 

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareCategory?os=4063&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&sw_lang=&product=5218...

There are several wifi card possibilities.  You can use device manager to determine exactly which card is installed to get the right driver or use a process of elimination until the right one is installed.

Signature
HP Recommended

i'm so ticked off right now!!!. the thing is "starting windows" screen still hangs there but i have to press ctrl+alt and a key to move the process over or the "starting windows" screen will just hang there. To be truthful i've been pressing  ctrl+alt and any key during is whole process.

also i have installed the keyboard and and the network driver but it still does not work.

sorry for the late response but i'm so angry!!

cloud do you have skype? because waiting for responses here is a pain

this is why i hate posting on forums for this type of stuff this is driving me **bleep** crazy

HP Recommended

well the progress so far is that i got windows and my brothers latop to 80% working but my keyboard and mousepad are still not working and the wifi device is missing (Quallcom Atheros) plus windows will still not load properly unless i press ctrl+alt+a random key to push it through.

I'm almost there and i need somebody to assist me because i don't know what happened to cloud_strider and i'm still confused. Sorry for the double post.

HP Recommended

I was unable to respond as I was out of the office.  😉

Post the retail installation of Windows 7, it looks like the keyboard, touchpad, and wifi are still not working.  I take it you are using an external mouse/keyboard to navigate through the system. 

Are there any unknown/other devices in device manager? Go to Start, search for device manager, and open this result.  If there are any other/unknown devices, please report the hardware IDs for them.  The hardware IDs can be retrieved by right-clicking the device, selecting properties, navigating to the details tab, and changing the property to hardware IDs.

Signature
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.