Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Pavilion dv7 Notebook
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Wednesday I installed Windows 10, upgrading from 8.1 & have had unacceptable boot & sleep wake times (7-12 minutes) and application not responding errors since. The only odd part of the install was AMD video updates, which I have backed out & reinstalled but no impact.  I searched for fixes and tried microsoft fixes like cleanmgr, msconfig & services.msc to remove unneeded items in hopes of improving boot time. In device manager I tried removing devices to have them reset themselves. Nothing is working.

I recorded the time for bootup taking about 2 minutes from black screen to windows symbol with circle, then black screen for 3 minutes before 'please wait message', after signon taking 4 or more minutes to be able to access start menu or run program.  Full boot time is 10+ minutes - WOW, so frustrating I leave the room!

Here are my system specs: 

HP Pavilion dv7 Notebook

Product number A6W99UA#ABA

Intel Core i5-2450M CPU 2.50GHz

System board 1800 10.5A

BIOS F.1C

16gb RAM

Display - AMD Radeon HD 7400M Series 15.200.1062.1002 (7/15/2015) & Intel HD Graphics 3000 9.17.10.4229 (5/27/2015)

Toshiba MK7575GSX hard drive 672GB

Optical disk HP BD DS6E2LH FH62

I like the new interface with Windows 10 but am frustrated with not having reliable system since upgrade (note a desktop and net book I upgraded from 8.1 are both behaving normally - so I do believe this is system specific).

ANY IDEAS? Otherwise I will revert back to 8.1 for stability.

Thanks,

Kelly

33 REPLIES 33
HP Recommended

my laptop is hp pavilion dv6t quad edition notebook .... I have the exact same issues with other things ...I hope someone finds an answer to this annoying problem ...I upgradded ..I didn't do clean installation ....I really hope we can enjoy the windows 10 speed and capabilities like most people

Product number: QF460EA#ABV

HP Pavilion dv6 Notebook PC

HP Recommended

I had similar issues. 
leshcat solved it for me, found my solution on another forum

https://community.amd.com/thread/184756

HP Recommended

I'll try it out now ! ...Thanks for the reply ! 

HP Recommended

Forgot to say to check my last post on that forum, has some useful info ><

HP Recommended

I'm afraid It didn't work out for me ...I noticed the windows media player and the new player are  glitching ...I hope I don't resort to recovery to windows 7 after all ...any tips ?

HP Recommended

When I open my laptop after sleep it takes about a minute to open up 

HP Recommended

Did you do a full cleanup before installing leshcat?

Full Cleanup guide

Well for me the long boot times disappeared whenever I uninstalled the AMD drivers and components. You can do that in remove programs in control panel using express uninstall option. And you can make sure windows update doesn't download the AMD drivers again using the tool Microsoft released. The link is on this page among other useful info: http://www.howtogeek.com/223864/how-to-uninstall-and-block-updates-and-drivers-on-windows-10/

I could only use the Intel graphics though but PC was booting normally without the amd drivers.

If that's not the case for you I'm afraid you have a different issue 😕

HP Recommended

Thank you for everything ...I'll try it again ....do you know when can we expect proper drivers from HP to solve these compatibility problems

HP Recommended

No idea. They never announce such things.
Your best bet is to bookmark your product's driver page and check every now and then if they got released.
But considering how HP probably has thousands of models to support it might take a while. 

If nothing helps I suggest you revert back to Windows 7 (because you can do that only for a month after the upgrade). You can always upgrade back to Windows 10 when the official drivers are out.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.