Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Its freezes the computer up so bad I have to manually power down it says its not responding what could i do?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

It may be worth trying to reset Windows Media Player as follows.

Click the Start Menu and select Control Panel.  Open Programs and Features, Click 'Turn Windows features on or off', open up Media Features and untick Windows Media Player.  Click Yes then OK and then restart the notebook.

When Windows has restarted, click the Start Menu and select Control Panel.  Open Programs and Features, Click 'Turn Windows features on or off', open up Media Features and tick Windows Media Player.  Click Yes then OK and when WMP has finished installing, restart the notebook again.

Next, carry out the following process to force Windows Media Player to re-build the Library Database.

A useful utility for viewing all the files on your PC is called Free Commander, on the link below, as it displays folders that the Operating System normally hides and has a good search function.

http://www.snapfiles.com/php/download.php?id=107872&a=7122339&tag=601108&loc=10

This is a zipped file.  If you don't have an extraction utility installed, download and install 7-Zip which can be used to open this so that you can run the installer.

Make sure Windows Media Player and Windows Media Centre are closed.

Launch Free Commander, double click Users, double click 'your user name', double click Local Settings, double click Application Data, double click Microsoft and double click Media Player.  Delete all the files that have the extension .wmdb - do not delete any folders.

Close Free Commander and open Windows Media Player - it will now begin to re-build the library database which may take a while.

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Windows Insider MVP

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
HP Recommended

Hi,

Can you post back with the following.

1.  The full Model No. and Part No. of the notebook ( from the service tag underneath your notebook ).

2.  The full version of the operating system you are using ( ie Windows 7 32bit ).

Regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

model numer is CQ62-219WM i couldnt find the part number but the product number is WQ778UA#ABA if thats not it how many digits is the part number i seen several different numbers. operating system is windows 7 home premium 64-bit thanks for your help

HP Recommended

Hi,

It may be worth trying to reset Windows Media Player as follows.

Click the Start Menu and select Control Panel.  Open Programs and Features, Click 'Turn Windows features on or off', open up Media Features and untick Windows Media Player.  Click Yes then OK and then restart the notebook.

When Windows has restarted, click the Start Menu and select Control Panel.  Open Programs and Features, Click 'Turn Windows features on or off', open up Media Features and tick Windows Media Player.  Click Yes then OK and when WMP has finished installing, restart the notebook again.

Next, carry out the following process to force Windows Media Player to re-build the Library Database.

A useful utility for viewing all the files on your PC is called Free Commander, on the link below, as it displays folders that the Operating System normally hides and has a good search function.

http://www.snapfiles.com/php/download.php?id=107872&a=7122339&tag=601108&loc=10

This is a zipped file.  If you don't have an extraction utility installed, download and install 7-Zip which can be used to open this so that you can run the installer.

Make sure Windows Media Player and Windows Media Centre are closed.

Launch Free Commander, double click Users, double click 'your user name', double click Local Settings, double click Application Data, double click Microsoft and double click Media Player.  Delete all the files that have the extension .wmdb - do not delete any folders.

Close Free Commander and open Windows Media Player - it will now begin to re-build the library database which may take a while.

Regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

Thanks! problem solved

HP Recommended

Hi,

You're welcome, glad it helped :generic:

All the best,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

after a little over a week its back at it again:smileysad: i was wondering is there any thing else it could be or is there anything else i can do besides repeating the above process thanks

HP Recommended

Hi,

Shutdown the notebook.  Tap away at f10 as you start the notebook to enter the bios menu.  Under the Advanced or Diagnostic tab you should find the facility to run tests on both the Hard Drive and Memory.  Post back with the details of any error messages.

If both the above tests pass, try the following.

From the Start Menu, open All Programs, open Accessories, right click the Command Prompt and select 'Run as Administrator'.  In to the prompt type the following command and hit enter.

sfc /scannow                 ( note that there is a space between sfc and the / )

Let the process complete, then type exit and hit enter.

Next, click the Start Menu, click Computer, left click Local Disc C once to highlight it, right click Local Disc C and select Properties.  Click the Tools tab and then click the button to 'Check the Drive for Errors'.  In the following window make sure both boxes are ticked and then click Start.  Agree to shedule the scan at the next restart.  Restart the notebook to check the drive - this can take a couple of hours.

When the above has completed and Windows has fully loaded, repeat the process of the original solution.

Regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

there is no f10 on this note book sois there a alternate for that? it a presario CQ62 by compaq thanks

HP Recommended

srry found the key ill post with update a.s.a.p

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.