Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
CompaqCQ58
Microsoft Windows 8 (64-bit)

Hi, i done the tests on mine it said my harddrive had failed, so i put in a new hdd, done the test it passed but it says boot device not found, please install an OP system on your hdd, the only way i could that was to take it out and install the OP system on another laptop, so i did that and it worked on the other laptop but boot device not found, please install an OP system on your hdd, and to come here for more info, Thanks.

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

I also set usb as main boot and put a bootable version of windows on it and, it wont read off the usb either any help with this would be appricated.

HP Recommended

Hi @Smithy3000.

Welcome to the HP Forums!Smiley Happy

It is a terrific place to find answers and tips!

For you to have the best experience in the HP forum I would like to direct your attention to the HP Forums Guide:

Learn How to Post and More.

I grasp that you had to replace the hard drive in your notebook but are getting a boot device not found error.

Would you please provide your full model of CQ 58 notebook.

How Do I Find My Model Number or Product Number?

What operating system were you running when you had to replace the hard drive?

What operating system are you trying  to install on the new hard drive?

Are you installing the operating system from recovery media or a  retail disk?

If Legacy support it disable try enabling it and rebooting?

Then restore the defaults from the bios. It is usually the F9 key, but the menu will be listed along the bottom. This will have it rescan for the attached hardware.

If Legacy support was enabled try disabling and then rebooting.

Also try restoring the defaults while it is disabled.

Please report back the results.

Good Luck!

Sparkles1

HP Recommended

the model is CQ58-300SA.   

I tried useing the legacy mode on and off, it didn't work, the op system was windows 8 but i got no disc it was pre installed, and theres no product key on the laptop, so i put usb as main boot and put windown 7 on it as thats all i could get but it wont boot up.

HP Recommended

Hi @Smithy3000,

Thank you for the update.

When I checked for the support operating system they are Windows 8, 8.1  and 10.

The product key is tattooed into the bios  and is automatically picked up when you do a recovery .

No disks are included, as on setup it advises you to create your recovery disk to be able to recovery the notebook should an issue occur. 

Here is a link to Compaq Presario CQ58 Maintenance and Service Guide.  Please note chapter 3, page 19, item 16 for the recommended replacement hard  drives.

I suggest you contact HP support to get a recovery kit.

Please contact HP support at Contact HP Support.

As you are using Window 7, you can try contacting Microsoft as they maybe able to aid you as it is not  a supported OS by HP.

Microsoft Corporation / Customer Support

1-800-642-7676

Microsoft Support Contact Us.

Please keep posted.

Good Luck!

Sparkles1

HP Recommended

Thanks for the help it was extremly useful, ive contacted support and asked for the recovery kit, waiting to hear back, i cant call till tomorrow diferent time zones, but thanks again.

Regards Alan Smith.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.