Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I bought my printer back in 2010, with the Macbook I'm currently using.

I figured out 4 years ago how to set it up to my home wifi, and everything was great. Since then I have moved and have a new wifi (not run by me, so I cannot reset it). I don't have the software CD for the printer anymore, and because I have Mac OS Mavericks, I can only install the drivers online, not the software, so it won't let me run through the steps to connect to wireless.

For some reason I have no Hewlett Packard folders on my computer, they must have been deleted and I don't know how to get them back.

I tried using the HP Wireless Assistant that I downloaded from the App store, but I get stuck because my printer doesn't broadcast an "HP Setup" wireless signal so I can't connect to it.

I have tried everything people have suggested so far but to no avail. And this printer doesn't have a Wireless Setup Wizard on it so I have no idea how to connect it to the new Wireless and password.

I should also mention that this router doesn't have WPS, so I can't connect that way.

Help! I've tried everything I can think of and now I have no HP software that I can see (even though I keep downloading the drivers), and I cannot connect wirelessly to my printer. I don't even have the scanning capabilities anymore because I don't have the HP Scan application.

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

Hi ldecorte,

Welcome to the HP Forums!

I understand that you cannot reconnect your HP Photosmart C4780 to your Mac, and I am happy to help you with this connection issue!

Please take a look at this post, Photosmart C4780, by my colleague @MissTeriLynn. I believe this will work.

Hope this helps you, and have a great day! :generic:

RnRMusicMan
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" to say “Thanks” for helping!

HP Recommended

Hello,

Actually that didn't help, because even when I reset my printer and printed out the network configuration page, there is no IP address listed for my printer 😕

HP Recommended

Hi ldecorte,

Thank you for your reply!

After some further searching I've come across another post, Photosmart C4780 cannot connect to wireless network, by my colleague @happytohelp01.  

Please let me know if you have any further issues, and have a great day! :generic:

RnRMusicMan
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

HP Recommended

I have already tried all of those steps, but it implies that your printer is already connected to the wireless, which mine isn't. That's the whole problem, and I can't figure out how/why it won't connect to wifi, why there's no IP address, why it's not outputting it's own little "HP Setup" wireless. And also, all of my HP product files are corrupt for some reason so when I try to open up the "HP Setup Assistant" it crashes every time I try and get to the "Set up wireless" section. So I'm kind of stuck. I've even downloaded the HP Wireless Assistant", but it implies that your printer is outputting it's own device signal, and mine isn't.

Please someone help! I'm about to just go out and buy a different printer.

HP Recommended

Here is what my network configuration page says.IMG_3114.JPG

HP Recommended

Hi ldecorte,

Thank you for your response!

It looks like something still isn't connecting properly, I think it is best if we try a few more steps to get to the bottom of this.

Please try this method for manually connecting to the network, using the following steps:

1. Restore the network defaults to do this, with the printer on the main screen, touch the button next to Scan, then the button next to Wireless Menu, then select Restore Network Defaults. The wireless button should then start flashing, this means it is now in autowireless mode.
  2. Connect to the network that the printer is broadcasting. Please keep looking for HP-Setup. The wireless light will still be flashing blue on the printer at this point, this is normal since this is not an actual adhoc connection.
  3. Click on the Airport icon on the Mac, and select HP-Setup. When the Airport icon changes to an adhoc connection (icon will look like two little squares).
  4. After it is connected, please go to the printer, and print a network configuration page. Printing a Network Configuration Page. The temporary IP will start with 169.254.... Please take the new IP address and enter it in your browser's address bar.
  5. Go to the network tab along the top of the EWS (Embedded Web Server).
  6. Click on the Wireless Wizard Button and follow the prompts to connect to your network.
  7. Manually input the SSID, type of encryption, WEP/WPA key, and click apply. This should put the printer on to the wireless network and the light should become solid, which means it is connected. (This could take a few moments).
  8. Print out a wireless test report and you should have a new address starting with 192.168 or 10.0.0.... 
  9. Just go to Apple icon, system preferences, printers and scanners, and add the printer with bonjour.
  10. Try to print a document.

Hope to hear from you, and please let me know what happens! Smiley Happy

RnRMusicMan
I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

Hello,

Thanks for all your help!

So the problem is, every time I click on the "restore network defaults", it turns off my wireless radio - it doesn't do that flashing blue thing like everyone says it's supposed to. So I can't follow the rest of your steps 😕 It's really confusing!

HP Recommended

I just sent you a private message. If you are not sure how to check your forum messages, this post has instructions.

RnRMusicMan
I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

@RanRMusicMan,

When I hit the "restore network defaults" command on the printer, all it does it turn off the wireless radio.  The blue wifi button does not flash.  Therefore, the HP-Connect does not show up in the Airport icon. 

Sorry...still no luck.  

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.