Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
If you're having print quality issues Click here for more tips!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

I got my printer working back again. It is really disappointing that a firmware update bricked working printers with no warning and no quick resolution. Certainly makes me rethink HP as a brand and the choice as my printer business in the future.

HP Recommended

Can you share the link? I'm not finding it in reddit

HP Recommended

The cartridge options: Cartridge Policy and Cartridge Protection do NOTHING.  Turning them to OFF does not stop this message or allow non HP branded cartridges.

HP Recommended

You will find the link on page 2 of this thread.

HP Recommended

Tipping my hat. I've got the same problem as well. Just reached out to Costco, where I purchased the printer. They are refunding me the purchase price of the printer and will take up the malicious firmware issue internally.

If you're having this issue and purchased from Costco, try this route. It'll save you a lot of time and energy. I know I'll not be using my refund to purchase another HP printer. 

HP Recommended

I had the same thought @jm2122, however, I'm afraid HP probably stands to make more money from re-occurring cartridge sale profits than they would have to pay in any such lawsuit... I'm off to find a better brand that isn't currently doing this to their customers, as paying for a new printer this size one time is about the difference in price from buying HP branded cartridges a couple times....

I was a loyal HP Printer and Laptop customer for years, recommending them to multiple people, that certainly won't happen again and they have officially lost my business... I'll run my current HP with the old firmware until I can't do that anymore and then its off to buy a different brand.

HP Recommended

It was probably my bad day today. My printer got updated and have the same problem. However, I am unable to push the firmware to the device. The status shows smiley face, but doesn't look like it has applied.

HP Recommended

Not sure what is happening. It is stuck here and no further action is prompted. Does that sound right? Appreciate your help!HP downgrade.PNG

HP Recommended

Did you see my earlier comment about disconnecting from wifi and connecting the printer via usb?

HP Recommended

I am actually okay with this idea from HP’s perspective as they basically give away the printer to sell ink.  The problem I have with it, is that they provided no advance warning.  I needed to print something for a meeting and I was unable to do so.  This issue is costing me money in a couple ways.  I now have to waste my time fixing the driver and I lost a sale because I didn’t have the document I needed.  If HP doesn’t fix this issue, I will be junking my printer and switching to another company.  As I said I am understanding of the change, but HPs poor communication is costing me money so I will permanently take my business elsewhere.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.