Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
If you're having print quality issues Click here for more tips!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
macOS 11.0 Big Sur

I find that the ink smudges when I highlight my printed page. Ive tried using assorted markers and it is always the same. I have never experienced this before with other printers. Can you advise how to remedy this?

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

@Stevey6

Welcome to the HP Support Community.

I'd be happy to help.

Which Printer do you have?

Let us know 🙂

Thanks!

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I have an HP ENVY 6020e

HP Recommended

Does this happen with all documents?

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Yes this happens with all documents as they all use the same ink.

HP Recommended

Try the steps from here: https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-envy-6000-all-in-one-printer-series/29256672/model/29256673/...

Are you able to copy well?

Let me know if this helps.

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution button, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Thanks!

Have a great day! 

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Yes I can copy well.

The problem seems to be that the ink used in HP cartridges is not permanent so reacts with highlighters and causes smudging. The ink on the  printed page breaks down and ends up on the tip of the highlighter so if it is bright yellow then the highlighter ends up with black ink on which ruins its future performance. I have no issue with the quality of the printed page it’s to do with the formulation of the ink that I believe to be the problem.

HP Recommended

Please see if this helps:

https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/bpu03021

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution button, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Thanks!

Have a great day!

I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.