Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
If you're having print quality issues Click here for more tips!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

HP's latest firmware update made it impossible for me to use the ink we have installed in our HP printer.  So, thanks for forcing us to lose money there.

My wife and I have a foster training due in 24 hours, and I'm trying to print out documents for that.  HP, do you have any idea how frustrating this is? Any clue?

This is my printer, in my home.  I didn't sign a contract with you on what ink I would use.

Shutting down the functionality of something I use until I cave and give you money.... you do understand that's (literally) extortion, right?

This is just an infuriating cash grab.  Please don't bother with your spin on this issue.

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Hi @envy5530ver,

Welcome to the HP Support Community

I'd like to help!

You may refill your cartridges or use remanufactured cartridges, but you may run into problems. HP will not guarantee the functionality of those ink cartridges.

There are many cartridges in the market which is refilled and sometimes the chip is not configured to work with the printer. You need to contact the cartridge manufacturer and find out why its not working. Try a different cartridge supplier and check if that works.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Yes" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping

HP Recommended

The problem, as specifically stated by my HP printer is that "The indicated cartridges have been blocked by the printer firmware because they contain a non-HP chip. This printer is intended to work only with new or reused cartridges that have a new or reused HP chip." (see photo attached). 

How do I resolve this issue and use the ink cartridges I've purchased? (***cartridges that were working fine until HP's firmware update***)

PXL_20220308_144418432~2.jpg

HP Recommended

Try and update the printer firmware-

Download available firmware updates from the HP website

With the printer on and connected to the computer, go to HP Customer Support - Software and Driver Downloads, and then identify your printer. Look for and install any available firmware updates. Refer to the document HP Printers - Updating or Upgrading Printer Firmware

The third-party ink cartridges will work. But there are many cartridges in the market which is refilled and sometimes the chip is not configured to work with the printer. You need to contact the cartridge manufacturer and find out why it's not working. Try a different cartridge supplier and check if that works.

Hope this helps!

Keep me posted

HP Recommended

Our firmware is up to date (photo attached--the Status says "Up-to-date" and the "Update" button is grayed out and unavailable to click).  The problem has never been with the non-HP cartridges.  Again, they were working fine until we recently updated the firmware.

HP.png

HP Recommended

The greyed-out update indicates the printer is up to date.

I recommend trying a different cartridge supplier and check if that works.

Hope this helps!

HP Recommended

My HP Officejet Pro 8710 all in one will not allow me to use a non HP printer black cartridge.  I just put in another new (just out of wrapper) non-HP brand new black cartridge and this time the printer says "The indicated cartridges are not communicating correctly with the printer."  This is not due to there being any dirt etc. on the interface.  It was working fine with an HP black cartridge, but as that cartridge ran out of ink I again tried to use a non-HP cartridge as I need to print. 

In the past, when I tried to use non-Hp cartridges it would state that it was not accepting a non-hp cartridge or something to that effect.  I assume this is just HP's latest way to stop me from using non-HP products. 

If anyone has a REAL solution let me know.  Otherwise, please don't tell me to try cleaning the connection etc., that is not the problem.   I don't want to waste more time.

HP Recommended

Hi @Mike1117,

Welcome to the HP Support Community

I'd like to help!

You may refill your cartridges or use remanufactured cartridges, but you may run into problems. HP will not guarantee the functionality of those ink cartridges.

There are many cartridges in the market which is refilled and sometimes the chip is not configured to work with the printer. You need to contact the cartridge manufacturer and find out why it's not working. Try a different cartridge supplier and check if that works.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Yes" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping

HP Recommended

As expected, this ended up being a 100% firmware issue.

Mike1117, try this: https://www.4inkjets.com/firmware-downgrade for your 8710. Install the firmware found there.

Then:

1) Find your Printer's IP address (Settings - Info, on your 8710's touchscreen).

2) Enter that IP address into a web browser (I used Chrome).

3) Go to Settings - Security - Administrator Settings - Printer Updates and unclick "All Firmware Updates" and "Only Web-Downloaded Firmware Updates".  (This is so your HP 8710 won't automatically install new firmware that takes your non-HP cartridges hostage).

Took me about 10-15 minutes and after I did that, sure enough my non-HP cartridge worked perfectly. 

HP Recommended

Hi, 

HP Printers - Used, Refilled, or Counterfeit ink cartridge message 

Reset the printer

Reset the printer to recover from printer errors or failures.

1. If your printer has a rechargeable battery, remove it.

2. With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the printer.

3. Unplug the power cord from the power source.

4. Wait 60 seconds.

5. Reconnect the power cord to a wall outlet and to the printer.

NOTE: 

HP recommends plugging the printer directly into a wall outlet.

6. Turn on the printer to complete the reset.

Replace the problem ink cartridge

Installing a new cartridge can resolve ink-related errors.

1. Obtain a replacement cartridge.

• Printer is enrolled in Instant Ink. Replacement cartridges are part of your subscription. If you have another Instant Ink cartridge on hand, install it. Otherwise, contact HP Instant Ink support for a new cartridge.

• Printer is NOT enrolled in Instant Ink. Go to the HP Store or a local retailer to find and purchase compatible supplies. HP recommends genuine HP cartridges.

NOTE: 

If you have a defective HP cartridge, it might be under warranty. Go to About Original HP Cartridges for page yield and HP Limited Warranty information.

2. Open the door or lid to the cartridge access area. Wait until the carriage stops moving before continuing.

3. Remove the cartridge indicated in the error message, and then insert the new cartridge into the slot.

4. Repeat these steps to replace any other cartridges indicated in the error message.

5. Close the door or lid to the cartridge access area, and then follow any instructions to align the printer.

HP Printers - An 'Ink System Failure' or 'System Supply Problem' Error Displays 

HP Inkjet printers - Ink cartridge errors 

JessikaV
    HP Support Community Administrator

I work on behalf of HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.