Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
If you're having print quality issues Click here for more tips!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
Deskjet Plus 4122
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi, most of my printing is A5 paper size in B/W and my printing only covers about the half of that paper size. This is less than a quarter of an A4 page size, the printer still counts the pages as it would be full A4 pages. This means my cartridges get locked when still a lot of ink in them because they reached the maximum page count! HP support can you please advise how to avoid having to buy new cartridges when the old ones only about 1/4 spent? It very much feels like I'm being ripped off.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@Les1981, Welcome to the HP Support Community!

I believe the printer is enrolled in Instant Ink. Yes, it counts as 1 page even if only half of it is used for printing. 

You can print color photos or documents, or high-quality black and white pages. Each page now costs the same.

Your monthly fee is based on the number of pages you print, not on the amount of ink you use.

For more info, refer to the FAQ section of Instant Ink

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks for your reply but I'm not happy with this.

If I buy a cartridge of ink, I expect to be able to use up all the ink it contains without the printer going effectively disfunctional after X number of printed page. This question is regardless of whether I have instant ink subscription or not.

Is there a way of overriding the printer's page count? If not I consider this printer is not fit for purpose so will HP give my money back?

HP Recommended

@Les1981

Unfortunately, there are no other options. If you are not happy with the service, you may always cancel Instant Ink and use regular HP ink cartridges. 

To know how to cancel, refer to - Cancel Your HP Instant Ink Service

Keep me posted for any other assistance.

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.