Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
If you're having print quality issues Click here for more tips!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

Hi Bob, I have the HP OfficeJet Pro 8715 All-in-One Printer.  We only used black ink.  Can I print with only the black ink cartridge inserted?  getting a message "one or more color cartridges are missing"

Thanks

Bill

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@held927 -  The HP Officejet 8715 is an IIC printer, with separate printheads and cartridges, connected by "plumbing".  You will need to replace the depleted cartridge to avoid damage to the printhead, it will not print with any cartridges missing.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended

thanks Bob for the fast reply.  Does HP sell printers that only require black ink?

HP Recommended

@held927 wrotte:

thanks Bob for the fast reply.  Does HP sell printers that only require black ink?

The short answer is "yes", but this thread is not a good place to find what your needs are.  I would suggest you post a new thread in the forum here.  Many of the recent Envy and Deskjet printers have the capability to print with an  empty color cartridges, or with the color cartridge removed completely.  Many laser models (which use toner rather than ink) are B&W only.

I would suggest in your post you address the following points:

• Do you need a printer that is capable of printing in color as well as black and white?
  • Do you require an Inkjet printer rather than a Laser printer?
  • About how many pages per month would you expect to print, on average?
  • Are you printing on plain paper or need special papers?
  • Do you need a multi-function printer (print, scan, copy, fax) or just a printer?

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended

thanks again Bob for your input. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.