Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
If you're having print quality issues Click here for more tips!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP OfficeJet Pro 7740 Wide Format All-in-One Printer
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I was very annoyed to get a "NON-HP chip" rejection of a new cartridge installed into my 7740 - this has never happened before, and I can find no way to get it to accept the responsibility for using a cartridge from another manufacturer and get on with my work. On other printers I've just had to accept that I've read the cautionary note - and carried on working. 

If I can't get the printer to accept non-HP cartridges, I will never buy another HP product since their own cartridges are way over priced. I hope this can be rectified - and soon!  I can't believe I'm the only one that feels like this! 

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@jonpmasters 

Welcome to the HP English Community --

Nice printer -- the model has been around for a long time.

Printers of this model manufactured after December 1, 2016 are subject to Dynamic Security protection.

True - printers protected with Dynamic Security restricts the use of Non-HP-Chipped cartridges, both refilled and re-manufactured .

True, too - There is no legal way to bypass the security enforced by HP on their products.

Make sure your refilled / re-manufactured Non-HP cartridges do have an HP chip.

Ask your reseller for information on the cartridges they sell.

Each Firmware update for this printer model manufactured after December 1, 2016 reinforces the security protection.

You have a choice of which products and printers you purchase and use.

Our Community does not judge what people decide.

When you dispose of the printer, consider donating the printer or recycle safely according to your local laws.

Sample

HP Officejet Pro 7740 Firmware Update 

Description
This software tool will help you update your printer to the latest firmware. Please refer to Enhancement/Fixes for more detail about the firmware update.

Reminder: Dynamic security enabled printer. This Firmware includes dynamic security measures, which are used to block cartridges using a non-HP chip or modified or non-HP electronic circuitry. The printer is intended to work only with new or reused cartridges that have a new or reused HP chip or circuitry. Periodic firmware updates will maintain the effectiveness of the dynamic security measures and block cartridges that previously worked. More at www.hp.com/learn/ds

Note: For printers manufactured prior to December 1, 2016 dynamic security will not be enabled by this firmware. Please note that HP cannot guarantee the quality or reliability of non-HP cartridges.

Content References

Which Ink Can be Used in the Printer?

HP Ink - Learn About Supplies

Calls / Provides link to:

HP Printers - Dynamic Security Enabled Printers

=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=

References / Resources

HP Printer Home Page - References and Resources

Learn about your Printer - Solve Problems

“Things that are your printer”

When the website support page opens, Select (as available) a Category > Topic > Subtopic

NOTE: Content depends on device type and Operating System

Categories: Alerts, Troubleshooting, Ink & Paper, HP Software / Drivers / Firmware Updates , Setup & User Guides, Product Specifications, Account & Registration, Warranty & Repair

Open 

Product Home - Printers

Enter the device type and model name of your HP product

OR

Select a saved product from HP Account Dashboard

OR

HP OfficeJet Pro 7740 Wide Format All-in-One Printer series  

Thank you for participating in the HP Community --

People who own, use, and support HP devices.

Click Yes to say Thank You

Question / Concern Answered, Click my Post "Accept as Solution"

Dragon-Fur

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.