Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
If you're having print quality issues Click here for more tips!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

I have an HP Office Jet Pro 9018e All in one and am getting  a "Printer Supply Problem" error.

I replaced the cartridge, took out and wiggled the print head, and re-set defaults. Still get the error.

Best Buy geek told me it's a 'sensor' issue.

How do I fix it?

Thanks

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hi @Ginj,

Welcome to HP Support Community.

Thank you for posting your query, I will be glad to help you.

The "Printer Supply Problem" error you're encountering on your HP Office Jet Pro 9018e can be frustrating. Given what you've already tried and the advice from Best Buy, it does seem possible that a sensor issue is causing the error. Here’s a step-by-step approach you can try to hopefully resolve the issue:

Power Cycle the Printer:

• Turn off the printer and unplug it from the power source.
  • Wait about 1 minute.
  • Plug it back in and turn on the printer.
  • Check if the error persists.

Check and Clean the Contacts:

• Open the ink cartridge access door and remove the ink cartridges.
  • Use a soft, lint-free cloth slightly dampened with distilled water to clean the gold-colored contacts on both the cartridges and the cartridge slots in the printhead.
  • Be gentle to avoid any damage and ensure not to leave any fibers on the contacts.
  • Allow the contacts to dry for about 10 minutes before reinserting the cartridges and closing the printer cover.

Re-seat the Printhead:

• Since you’ve already wiggled the printhead, try removing it entirely and then re-installing it to ensure it is properly seated.
  • Before reinserting, check if there’s any debris or buildup that could be cleaned.

Check for Firmware Updates:

• Sometimes, HP releases firmware updates that can resolve underlying issues. Check for any available updates for your printer from the HP website.
  • You can typically check and update the firmware directly from the printer’s control panel under settings, or use the HP Smart app.

Reset the Printer:

• If the above steps don’t help, try a factory reset. This can often clear errors that other troubleshooting steps don’t resolve.
  • Note: This will remove all settings back to factory defaults, so you'll have to reconfigure your printer settings.

I hope this helps.

Take care and have a good day.

Please mark this post as “Accepted Solution” if the issue is resolved and if you feel this reply was helpful click “Yes”.

Rachel571

HP Support

Rachel571
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.