Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
If you're having print quality issues Click here for more tips!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP ENVY 4500 e-All-in-One Printer

HP Envy 4500 -e-All-in-one printer.  I installed genuine new cartridges which are now set to default printing quality.  Color cartridge is not printing.  How do I get this fixed?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi @EB410,

Welcome to HP Support Community.

Thank you for posting your query, I will be glad to help you.

It seems you're facing an issue with your HP Envy 4500 e-All-in-One printer where, after installing new genuine cartridges, the color cartridge is not printing even though everything is set to default printing quality. Let's go through a systematic approach to troubleshoot and potentially fix this problem.

1. Check Cartridge Installation

Ensure Proper Installation: Make sure the color cartridge is properly installed in its slot. It should click into place. If it's not fully inserted or installed incorrectly, it might not function.

Remove Protective Tape: Double-check that you have removed any protective tape or plastic from the color cartridge. Sometimes, it's easy to overlook this step, and the presence of tape can prevent ink from leaving the cartridge.

2. Clean the Cartridge and Contacts

Clean the Cartridge Contacts: Sometimes, ink residue or dust on the cartridge contacts can prevent a good electrical connection between the printer and the cartridge. Turn off the printer, remove the cartridge, and gently clean the contacts with a soft, lint-free cloth.

Clean the Print Head: Use the printer's built-in tool to clean the print head. This can often resolve issues with print quality and unrecognized cartridges. The process can usually be initiated from the printer's control panel or its software on your computer.

3. Use Printer Diagnostics

HP Print and Scan Doctor: HP provides a utility called HP Print and Scan Doctor for Windows that can diagnose and fix printing problems. Download and run this tool to help identify and solve issues.

Printer Self-Test Page: Print a self-test page or a diagnostic page directly from the printer. This can help identify if the problem is software-related or with the printer itself.

4. Check Printer Settings

• Quality Settings: Even though you mentioned the cartridges are set to default printing quality, double-check the printer settings in your printing preferences. Make sure the printer is not set to print in grayscale or black ink only.

5. Update Printer Firmware

• Firmware Update: Ensure your printer's firmware is up to date. HP periodically releases updates that can improve the functionality of your printer and resolve existing issues. You can check for firmware updates through the HP website or the HP Smart app.

6. Contact HP Support

I hope this helps.

Take care and have a good day.

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Rachel571 

HP Support

Rachel571
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hi @EB410,

Welcome to HP Support Community.

Thank you for posting your query, I will be glad to help you.

It seems you're facing an issue with your HP Envy 4500 e-All-in-One printer where, after installing new genuine cartridges, the color cartridge is not printing even though everything is set to default printing quality. Let's go through a systematic approach to troubleshoot and potentially fix this problem.

1. Check Cartridge Installation

Ensure Proper Installation: Make sure the color cartridge is properly installed in its slot. It should click into place. If it's not fully inserted or installed incorrectly, it might not function.

Remove Protective Tape: Double-check that you have removed any protective tape or plastic from the color cartridge. Sometimes, it's easy to overlook this step, and the presence of tape can prevent ink from leaving the cartridge.

2. Clean the Cartridge and Contacts

Clean the Cartridge Contacts: Sometimes, ink residue or dust on the cartridge contacts can prevent a good electrical connection between the printer and the cartridge. Turn off the printer, remove the cartridge, and gently clean the contacts with a soft, lint-free cloth.

Clean the Print Head: Use the printer's built-in tool to clean the print head. This can often resolve issues with print quality and unrecognized cartridges. The process can usually be initiated from the printer's control panel or its software on your computer.

3. Use Printer Diagnostics

HP Print and Scan Doctor: HP provides a utility called HP Print and Scan Doctor for Windows that can diagnose and fix printing problems. Download and run this tool to help identify and solve issues.

Printer Self-Test Page: Print a self-test page or a diagnostic page directly from the printer. This can help identify if the problem is software-related or with the printer itself.

4. Check Printer Settings

• Quality Settings: Even though you mentioned the cartridges are set to default printing quality, double-check the printer settings in your printing preferences. Make sure the printer is not set to print in grayscale or black ink only.

5. Update Printer Firmware

• Firmware Update: Ensure your printer's firmware is up to date. HP periodically releases updates that can improve the functionality of your printer and resolve existing issues. You can check for firmware updates through the HP website or the HP Smart app.

6. Contact HP Support

I hope this helps.

Take care and have a good day.

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Rachel571 

HP Support

Rachel571
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.