Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
If you're having print quality issues Click here for more tips!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

A couple days ago, I got a message from Kumar0307HP  suggesting that I try some steps to troubleshoot, not this specific issue, but "After intalling a new ink cartridge the printer will not print." I decided to go ahead and do that, thinking that Kumar's solution might do something that we haven't troubleshooting this issue.

Those steps did not change anything. It ended up with  "Failed to coommunicate with your selected product..."

I need a printer.  If you have anything further to suggest, I will do them. But if you have exhausted the resources that HP makes available to resolve my situation, I will need to purchase another printer.

TIA for replying to this.

SweetTasha.

AaaH Now it shows the full menu bar.after installing a new ink cartridge...failed to communicate 11-28.jpgafter installing a new ink cartridge...choose your product 11-28.jpg

Apparently I didn't take the last screenshot. Here's what Ihave in my notes::

" to operated uour printer wirelessly, connect your printer to your home network. If your printer is NOT CONNECTED to your network, click 'printer not connect to network'
But IT IS CONNECTED. The tiny WiFi blue LED is on (on the printer touch panel)

I tried RETRY

same result "failed to communicate..."
I will click CONNECT, then choose Network-Wireless

Now we are in a never-ending loop.

HP Recommended

Hi,

My suggestion to make it easier. Remove all earlier added associated printers from your window.

1. Go to Control Panel > Hardware and Sound > Devices and Printers
  2. Then right-click those printers you added earlier and hit Remove Device

After that, try …

Restart your Router, Computer and Printer if the HP Print And Scan Doctor did not fix the issue. 

Next, perform a Network Defaults and try reconnecting the Printer

1. From the printer control panel, touch or swipe down the tab at the top of the screen to open the Dashboard, and then touch ( Setup ).

2. Touch Network Setup.

3. Touch Restore Network Settings. A message appears stating that the network defaults will be restored.

4. Touch Yes.

5. Print the network configuration page and verify that the network settings have been reset.

1. From the home screen on the printer control panel, swipe down to open the Dashboard, and then touch the Wireless icon 

2. Touch the Setup icon 

3. Touch Wireless Settings, and then touch Wireless Setup Wizard

4. Touch the name of your network in the list of available networks [do ensure same network name], and then touch OK.
  5. If the list does not contain your network name, touch Enter New Network Name, and then follow the on-screen instructions to enter your network name.
  6. If prompted, type the WEP or WPA key (network password), and then touch Done.

A summary screen displays. Touch OK to return to the home screen.

Alternatively use manual IP method; assign a Manual IP Address to the printer.

1) Obtain the IP address of the printer – You can touch the “wireless” icon on the printer control panel to obtain the IP address or print a Network Configuration Page
2) Type the IP address on your web browser to obtain the printer EWS page on your computer.
3) Go to "Network" tab - General - Select "Network protocols" - Select "Enable IPv4 only" (or similar) - Apply the settings.
4) Go to the “Network” tab – Click on “Wireless (802.11) – Then click on “Network address (IPv4)
5) Click Manual IP
6) If you see a Suggest a Manual IP Address button, click Manual IP address, and the Manual IP addresses are automatically filled out for you.
7) If your page does not have a button to suggest a manual IP address, type the IP address, subnet mask, and default gateway using the numbers shown in the report you printed.

Since you have done most of those including resetting window cache, i hope this last resort help.

Although I am HP Employee andI am speaking for myself
>> "Marking" this as RESOLVE, If my post help RESOLVE your issue and help others
>> Click THUMB UP icon if you appreciate the "REPLY"
HP Recommended

I performed all of the steps from
Remove all earlier added associated printers from your window.
thru
Alternatively use manual IP method; assign a Manual IP Address to the printer.
thru
7) If your page does not have a button to suggest a manual IP address, type the IP address, subnet mask, and default gateway using the numbers shown in the report you printed.
The "report You printed" was 3 blank pages. I was able to get the information through another route.

I finally got everything done and got this, which seemed to say I was good to go. But when I tried to print, nothing printed. It went to the print queue and showed status of "error - printing"

HP printer unable to print... step 7 802.11 12-1.jpg

It's time to purchase a new printer. As you might imagine, all of this leave a really bad impression of HP-the-company. Not you personally.

So Long and Regards. FredFrog.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.