Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
HP Officejet 3830
Microsoft Windows XP

I have an HP Officejet 3830 and need to print file folder labels that are on a 5/8" X 3 7/16" paper. The 2nd tray doesn't close up to that size. I was wondering if I could turn it sideways and print. I have a ThinkPad that I do all of my work on.

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

@Terri2B 

It won't work.

The tiny paper size you want to use is not supported.

Printer Specifications for HP OfficeJet 3830, DeskJet 3830, 5730 All-in-One Printers

The closest you can get:

Index card
76 x 127 mm (3.0 x 5.0 inches)*

Supported custom sizes

To avoid paper jams and other issues when printing on nonstandard custom paper sizes, make sure the dimensions fall within the parameters listed in the following table.
note:
Custom-sized media are only supported in Mac OS X.
Paper size
88.9 x 127 mm (3.5 to 5.0 inches) to 215 x 355.6 mm (8.5 to 14.0 inches)

HP Printer Home Page - References and Resources – Learn about your Printer  - Solve Problems

“Things that are your printer”

NOTE:  Content depends on device type and Operating System

Categories:  Alerts, Access to the Print and Scan Doctor (Windows), Warranty Check, HP Drivers / Software / Firmware Updates, How-to Videos, Bulletins/Notices, Lots of How-to Documents, Troubleshooting, Manuals > User Guides, Product Information (Specifications), more

When the website support page opens, Select (as available) a Category > Topic > Subtopic

HP OfficeJet 3830 All-in-One Printer series 

Thank you for participating in the HP Community.

The Community is a separate wing of the HP website - We are not an HP business group.

Our Community is comprised of volunteers - people who own and use HP devices.

Click Thumbs Up to say Thank You.

Question / Concern Answered, Click "Accept as Solution"

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

@Dragon-Fur  is absolutely correct. In order to feed properly, the paper must be long enough to make it from one set of rollers to the next or the paper gets "stranded" inside the printer. If you want to print file folder labels you either need to purchase a sheet of labels or better, purchase a dedicated label printer.

If you find the information provided useful or solves your problems, help other users find the solution easier by giving kudos and marking my post as an accepted solution.
I am a volunteer, offering my knowledge to support fellow users, I do not work for HP nor speak for HP.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.