Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
macOS 11.0 Big Sur

I am using Big Sur on a MacBook Pro.  My printer is now only printing (Airprint or cable) from Tray 1.  I am not able to change the selection to Tray 2 in most cases.  If I can, it still gives me an error message saying add paper to Tray 1.  I cannot get back to Tray 2 as my default.  Is this a problem with Big Sur (which I have used for quite some time; this print problem is new) or something else?  Is it hardware.  In some documents, where I can select a tray, it will print to Tray 2, but most documents I want to print, I cannot select a tray.  I have changed the tray both in the printer preferences and on the printer controls, but it will not change when I go to print the document.

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

The OS usually does not dictate tray selection.  Paper selection is set via the printer's control panel, printer driver, or in the software application.  When printer ask to load Tray 1, what paper size/type is it asking for?  This will tell you what the application needs to print.  If the paper asked for in Tray 1is already installed in Tray 2, verify that the paper size/type settings for tray 2 match the installed paper.  Last, verify your driver settings.

I am a forum volunteer.  I do not represent or work for HP.

HP Recommended

Thank you for your response to my concern.   I understand what you are saying.  I worked with the printer for quite some time the other day with my various apps.  I found that, buried down in the options under print, is the selection of "media and quality", I think.  There, working within my apps, I could select Tray 2, and the printer would use Tray 2.  I guess my difficulty is more when I try to print something from the internet.  I am given no option to select a tray for those documents, and the printer asks for paper in Tray 1.  I don't remember this being the case previous to recently, but I can work with it, given there doesn't seem to be an option.  This all seemed to happen after I had occasion to print a number of 4 by 6 photos, which must be sent to Tray 1.  That seems to be when the difficulty started.  It seemed that the option was permanently set after I printed those photos.  That's just an observation.  Thank you again for your response and assistance.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.