Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 11

Hi. I'm having the issue described by others of the printer (HP OfficeJet Pro 6978) indicating a paper jam when there is no paper jam. I have been through all the steps to unplug the printer, clean the rollers, etc. Nothing will clear the paper jam error message. The printer even spits out a clean, undamaged piece of paper after indicating the jam. (???) Please send the private message with instructions on how to reset the printer to factory default. Thank you.

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hi @cahong1003,

Welcome to HP Support Community.  

Thank you for posting your query, I will be glad to help you.

I'm sorry to hear that you're experiencing a paper jam issue with your HP OfficeJet Pro 6978 printer. Paper jams can be frustrating, but there are a few steps you can take to try and resolve the problem.

• Turn off the printer: Start by turning off the printer and unplugging it from the power source. This will prevent any damage to the printer while you're working on clearing the paper jam.
  • Open the printer access door: Locate the printer access door at the front or back of the printer, depending on the model. Open the door and carefully remove any visible jammed paper. Be gentle to avoid tearing the paper, as any small fragments left behind could cause another jam.
  • Check the paper path: Look inside the printer for any additional jammed paper. Check the input tray, output tray, and any other areas where the paper passes through. If you find any paper, gently remove it.
  • Remove the ink cartridges: Sometimes, paper jams can occur if the ink cartridges are not properly seated. Remove the ink cartridges and check for any obstructions or pieces of paper in that area. Clear any debris you find.
  • Check the paper tray: Make sure the paper in the tray is properly aligned and not exceeding the maximum capacity. Adjust the paper guides to ensure a snug fit for the paper. Sometimes, the paper can get stuck due to misalignment or overloading.
  • Clear the paper feed rollers: Paper feed rollers can accumulate dust and debris, leading to paper jams. Use a lint-free cloth lightly moistened with water to clean the rollers. Gently rotate the rollers while cleaning to ensure thorough removal of any dirt or residue.
  • Reset the printer: After performing the above steps, plug the printer back in, turn it on, and try printing a test page. This will help determine if the issue has been resolved.

I hope this helps. 

Take care and have a good day.

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Alden4
HP Support 

I am an HP Employee.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.