Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
HP OfficeJet Pro 6968 All-in-One Printer

I keep getting a Printer Failure error message of "there is a problem with the printer or print system...0x6100004a" or paper jam error when there is no paper jam. The ink cartridge carrier is stuck on the right side, and I cannot physically move it. I have tried all the suggestions through the discussion board and the virtual assistant, and it still will not clear.

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hi @PrinterTrouble8,

Welcome to HP Support Community.

Thank you for posting your query, I will be glad to help you.

It sounds like you've already tried some troubleshooting steps, but let's go through some additional ones to see if we can resolve the issue.

• Turn Off and Unplug: First, turn off the printer and unplug it from the power source. This will allow the printer to reset.
  • Check for Paper Jams: Even if you're sure there's no paper jam, double-check all areas of the printer, including the input and output trays, as well as the cartridge area, to ensure there's no stray paper causing the issue.
  • Inspect for Obstructions: Look inside the printer, particularly around the carriage path, for any obstructions such as small pieces of paper, debris, or even bits of torn paper. Use a flashlight if necessary to get a good look.
  • Move Carriage Manually: If the carriage is stuck, gently try to move it from side to side. Be careful not to force it. If it's not moving, forcing it could damage the printer further.
  • Reset the Printer: After checking for jams and obstructions, plug the printer back in and turn it on. Try resetting the printer to its default settings. Sometimes this can clear out any software glitches causing the issue.
  • Update Firmware/Drivers: Make sure your printer's firmware and drivers are up to date. Sometimes, outdated firmware can cause errors like this.

I hope this helps.

Take care and have a good day.

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Alden4

HP Support 

I am an HP Employee.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.