Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 11

paper tray will not lock for 8.5 X 11 paper, it grabs multiple pages of paper, have pressed gray button on right side and have difficulty moving tray from legal to letter. when successful in moving tray it will not lock for letter size paper

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

tray will not stay locked into 8.5 X11.   have tried all of suggestions but no place addresses how to get the tray to lock into position.  it keeps locked into legal size so the paper is moving in the tray when trying to print.  screen on front of printer asks for paper sized and I have selected 8.5 X11.  the printer is new and came with the legal size set up in the tray.  when printing, have selected 8.5 X11

HP Recommended

returning printer. hp chat support could not fix the problem. got worse with many paper jams. new printer and did not expect this many issues

HP Recommended

@Ann341

Welcome to the HP Support Community.

I'd be happy to help.

Let's reset the Printer:

To restore the printer to the original factory defaults 1. From the printer control panel, touch or swipe down the tab at the top of the screen to open the Dashboard, and then touch ( Setup ). 2. Touch Printer Maintenance . 3. Touch Restore. 4. Touch Restore Factory Defaults. A message appears stating that the factory defaults will be restored. 5. Touch Continue.

Let me know if this helps.

Give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution button, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers and did reply to you!

Thanks!

Have a great day! 

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I spent about 3 to 4 hours with hp support chat, The first person checked that the setup was correct. This took a very long time. By the time she checked that it would print, the printer was having more issues than before.  I am not sure what resetting to original factory settings would do, when the paper tray will not lock for 8.5X11 paper. I think that the first hp person should have been able to correct the problem.  I was very worn out by the time we finished.  The printer was jamming when it hadn't before (at one time it was about 20 pages stuck and it took forever to get that out) and I eventually could not even open the printer tray (it was stuck in place).  I must have opened and closed the printer tray at least 20 times when online with the first chat.  She was still insisting that I needed to clean the printer which made no sense since this is a new printer.  I am returning the printer to Best Buy.  The second hp support person said I could do that.  I hope that Best Buy will put this piece of junk in a dumpster. 

The first hp person who answered my post gave a long list of things to do which I had already done,  but no one has yet told me how to lock the paper tray to 8.5 X 11.

HP Recommended

I understand. Do get back to us in the future for further assistance.

Have a nice day and stay safe!:)

I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.