Create an account on the HP Community to personalize your profile and ask a question
02-05-2022 02:35 PM
Officejet pro 8710. Trying to print on 65lb (176GSM) paper. Set the paper to thick on the printer. Printing MS Word documents with pictures. Page 1 prints fine. Page 2 is off - starts early or late. Opening the paper drawer I see the next sheet is up at the feed end. (I don't see this with regular printer paper. ) I can print 1 page at a time and push the next sheet down - big time waste. interesting, I accidently pressed the icon for network configuration while I had the thicker paper in and all 3 sheets printed correctly on the page.
Any ideas how I can fix this? My wife prints many cards (blanks from Hobby Lobby) for mailings. Thanks in advance.
02-05-2022 03:36 PM - edited 02-05-2022 03:55 PM
Welcome to the HP User Community.
- Load paper
- Alert printer of the paper size and type using either the printer control panel or EWS
- Open the software and the document to view and print the job (Word)
- For the purposes of checking whether this is going to work at all, try setting the margins to no smaller than "Narrow" (1/2 inch) on all sides.
- Start the print job setup (File > Print)
- Check / Select the Printer for the job
- In the main printing menu, Click to open Printer Properties
- Select Shortcut / Custom Shortcut
- Verify - Select the Paper Type (right side after selecting your shortcut)
NOTE: If the paper type you are using is not working, try Brochure Matte
- Check / adjust items in each Tab - for example, for a printer that has more than one tray, Open Tab Paper / Quality and select the Source / Tray (as opposed to leaving it "automatic")
- Click OK to leave any sub-menu if / as needed
- Click OK to leave Printer Properties
- Back in the main print menu, Click to Print
Thicker paper might balk at printing duplex. For at least supported paper sizes and weights, the printer will handle duplex or in booklet format. This printer is less robust than its big brother (8740) - the 8710 might not like to print card or brochure paper in duplex. As long as both the printer and the Printing Preferences / Printer Properties are set correctly, it might be worth trying, at least.
Section Paper Handling
The printer is no longer new - the rollers might need to be cleaned or these might be showing signs of wear. Reference: HP OfficeJet Pro 8700 Printers - Paper Jam Error
References / Resources
Check / Adjust / Retain the Paper Size and Type at the Printer Display Panel
NOTE This Section is not applicable to printers lacking a printer display panel.
Open Printer Tray,
If you have not yet done so, Remove / add desired paper size - type
Wait a few seconds
Close Printer Tray
On the Printer Control Display Panel,
Click Modify / Change / No-Yes (wording varies), adjust the paper size and type, Click OK
No Size? If the size of the Paper Size is not in the Drop-down list, Select Custom
- Not all printers support selection “Custom”
- "Copy" dislikes mismatched content / paper size and type. For example, select for Tray: Standard sized "Letter" / "A4" plain paper
Embedded Web Server (EWS)
EWS > HP Document / How-to
- EWS is available on many network connected printers.
- Laser Printers - Options and Settings - availability and location - are likely (and frequently) different.
If EWS is supported on your printer,
Use the Embedded Web Server (EWS) to view / configure your printer.
No Size? If the size of the Paper Size is not included in the Drop-down list, Select Custom
Copy dislikes mismatched content / paper size and type. If / As available, Check / Update Copy settings in EWS > Copy > Settings > Copy Defaults
----------------------- ----------------------- ----------------------- -----------------------
EWS – Browser - Tray and Paper Management
Open your favorite browser > type / enter Printer IP address into URL / Address bar
Tab Settings > Preferences > Tray and Paper Management
Model Dependent: Check the Advanced section (at the bottom of the Tray and Paper Management menu)
Click Apply to save changes
Set the Preferences – Windows
- This section is not applicable to Mobile Printing.
- Access to the complete Printer Preferences requires having installed the Full Driver printer software.
- The printer should be selected as the default and current printing device.
- Printing Preferences are available directly from the driver.
- Printing Envelopes? See NOTE
Control Panel > icon view > Devices and Printers
Right-Click on your printer > Printing Preferences
- When called from within printing software / applications, Printing Preferences might be called "Printer Properties" / "Shortcuts" / “More Settings” / “Properties” / "Printer Setup" or similar.
- No Size? If the size of the Paper Size is not included in the Drop-down list, consider / try: Create a Custom Paper Size Form. Reference: HP Printers - Creating Custom Paper Sizes
NOTE >> Word > Mailings > Envelopes :: Preferences and Envelopes
Select / leave Printing Preferences Shortcut to "Everyday Printing" or something equally benign.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Word Test - 3x5 card
Example - Retain / Modify (Edit) / Check Paper Size & Type - Tray and Paper Management
Section Paper Handling
HP Printer Support Home Page - References and Resources – Learn about your Printer - Solve Problems
“Things that are your printer”
NOTE: Content depends on device type and Operating System
Categories: Alerts, Access to the Print and Scan Doctor (Windows), Warranty Check, HP Drivers / Software / Firmware Updates, How-to Videos, Bulletins/Notices, Lots of How-to Documents, Troubleshooting, Manuals > User Guides, Product Information (Specifications), more
When the website support page opens, Select (as available) a Category > Topic > Subtopic
Thank you for participating in the HP Community.
Our Community is comprised of volunteers - people who own and use HP devices.
Click Helpful = Yes to say Thanks!
Question / Concern Answered, Click "Accept as Solution"
Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask the community