Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
Color Laser MFP 179fnw
macOS 10.15 Catalina

I just bought and installed a new Color Laser MFP 179fnw. I extracted the paper tray, loaded it with some paper (A4), then tried to push it back into its slot. It went up to the beginning of the transparent  semi-cover, then it stopped with a click, leaving a part protruding from the printer's body. According to the printer, paper everything was fine, and paper was available. I tried printing, and it worked flawlessly. Still, the tray remains half outside of the printer's body.

How can I push it entirely inside?

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@FaustoCan

Welcome to the HP Support Community.

Could you share a picture of the same so that we ca help you better with this?

Thanks 🙂

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks for answering me. Here is the picture. Note that I can extract and re-insert the paper tray easily (no forced movements), yet it can be pushed only as far as you can see in the photo.

IMG_0857.jpg

HP Recommended

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c06217357

There is a latch on the center of the tray that you can press and change the length of the tray. It sounds like you have the tray extended for legal paper use.

If you find the information provided useful or solves your problems, help other users find the solution easier by giving kudos and marking my post as an accepted solution.
I am a volunteer, offering my knowledge to support fellow users, I do not work for HP nor speak for HP.

HP Recommended

Thanks for the info. I had already noticed a little piece of plastic that can be pressed (with care, as the plastic is thin). Just in the center of the tray below the paper. Fine. I press it, and the paper tray reduces its length so that it fits completely inside the printer. Unfortunately, if I do so, I cannot put any paper sheets inside, because the tray is too short.

So, I must come to the conclusion that without paper the tray can be completely slotted inside, but with paper I must accept the tray protruding from the printer (as in the picture I uploaded).

Am I correct?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.