Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
HP 5000dn
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have an old HP5000 laserjet that still gives sterling service. It has an additional 250-sheet tray and a 500-sheet tray.

I load plain 80gsm A3 into tray 2 and 60gsm A3 into tray 3 and A4 into tray 4.

I have just one minor issue. When either tray 2 or 3 is in use and the paper runs out, instead of stopping with a paper out error it is automatically switching to the other A3 tray. I have gone through the manual and can't find a setting for this. Does anyone have a suggestion?

Brian

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi BrainHornsey,

If two or more trays have the same paper settings (meaning they are setup with the same size and same type of paper) then this is an expected behaviour from the printer.

Thus, check the paper setup settings for both tray 2 and tray 3. 

Tray 2 must be setup to A3, plain.

Tray 3 must be setup to something else, I don't know exactly what options this model offers you (find the one that best matches to the paper loaded). It might be something like A3, light paper.

I hope this makes sense. 

ALEX-TATS
Printer Engineer for a HP Platinum Partner
I am not a HP employee
If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the “Accept as Solution” button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the “Thumbs up" button!
HP Recommended

Evening Alex.

I have tried setting the 60gsm tray to 'light' on the Windows printer driver but that doesn't seem to change anything. Additionally, the PCL print driver won't duplex when A3 'Light' is specified (though the Postscript driver is fine.)

I have checked the built-in printer settings and there is a paper option "Tray 3 type=" but light isn't an option.

HP Recommended

You have to go by what is offered by the printer, either via its operation panel or the EWS.

If some options are not available, usually that means that they are not supported by the device.

ALEX-TATS
Printer Engineer for a HP Platinum Partner
I am not a HP employee
If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the “Accept as Solution” button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the “Thumbs up" button!
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.