Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
OfficeJet Pro 8720
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I had a photo printing problem last year and it was resolved by simply loading the photo paper correctly (i.e., without plain paper in the tray).  But now, with only photo paper in the tray and the printer settings set to photo paper (both on the printer and computer) I get repeated failures to "load" the paper which are reported as "jams."  When I remove the photo paper, a plain paper copy of the photo is printed.

How to overcome this?

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@jk13921, Welcome to the HP Support Community!

To assist you better, what type and size of photo paper are you using?

Update the printer firmware

Click here to download and install the latest printer firmware from your computer.

Click here to know different methods of updating printer firmware.

Make sure the papers are correctly loaded in the tray, refer to - Loading Paper, Cards, and Envelopes

To resolve any jams, follow the steps mentioned in - Paper Jam Error

Use the HP Smart app to print photos and check if it helps.

Click here to download and know more about the app.

for info on how to print photos, refer to page 34 of the user guide.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks for the suggestions.  Unfortunately, the problem persists.  I using "Everyday Photo Paper, JetPrint Photo (Medium Weight)" from International Paper.  And I've tried generic brand (pen+GEAR) that I think I got at Walmart.  Both fail to get through the loading process either by not lifting from the tray or by "jamming" before getting to the print heads.

It is infrequent that I actually print photos, so both paper stocks have been sitting in a cabinet for I don't know how long.  CAn paper get too old to feed?

HP Recommended

OK, so the solution was to buy new photo paper.  Apparently, the other papers stiffened over time.

A new package of HP Everyday Photo Paper for Inkjet Printers worked just fine.

Thanks again for the suggestions.

HP Recommended

@jk13921

Glad to know that the issue is now resolved. Feel free to contact us with any concerns related to HP products.

Happy to help!

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.