Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP LaserJet Pro 4001ne Printer

I am livid!  Our firm purchased this exact same printer in August 2023.  It was plug and play.  Plug it in and hook up the USB cable to a laptop and you could printer with no issues at all.  I purchased the exact same printer in February 2024, a 4001n (THAT IS EXACTLY WHAT IT SAYS ON THE FRONT OF THE PRINTER - IT DOES NOT SAY 4001ne!!!!!)  and apparently this 4001ne is different than the 4001n as the ONLY WAY YOU CAN PRINT IS TO BE CONNECTED TO THE INTERENT!!  Even if you opt for the USB connection, you are forced to be connected to the Internet and have an Insta Ink Subscription!  That is so deceptive!!!  The printer is the exact same model as purchased 6 months prior and doesn't say it is a 4001ne - I guess the 'e' means it requires internet connection in order to print at all.  Event though the installation instructions give you the option to use USB.

If anyone knows a way around this - how we can print using just a USB connection, please let me know.  Otherwise I guess we wasted $300 on this printer.  

Not cool HP!!!

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

That is correct a printer that has e is an HP+ printer and requires a constant connection to the internet and registration with an HP+ account to be able to work, not possible to bypass.

Ink subscription is an option. it's not mandatory.

My profile on LinkedIn

HP Recommended

Thanks for the response, but my frustration is with the fact that I ordered a 4001n, and received a printer that is clearly labeled as a 4001n - but then once received, it has a sticker indicating that it is a 4001ne.  See the photo I have attached.  I ordered the 4001n and that is what I expected to receive. They are basically remarketing the 4001n as a 4001ne which is really deceptive.  Everyone should just steer clear of both models as you have no idea what you are really receiving. HP.jpg

HP Recommended

Check the printers back side, the white label with serial number look up for product number (p/n)

4001n has product number 2Z599F while 4001ne has product number 2Z599E 

My profile on LinkedIn

HP Recommended

Thanks.  I returned it Saturday.  Amazon was nice enough to let me return it even though I was outside of the 30 day return period.  However, most people purchasing a printer wouldn't think to open the box and look at the back of the printer before buying it.  They would trust the packaging and the actual printer itself had the correct model # on it  -- like the picture I posted.  It's contradicting.  The photo shows it's a 4001n but the sticker they placed on it says 4001ne, in small print, which you wouldn't know until after you purchased it and opened the box.  The box indicated it was a 4001n also.  Not sure what HP is up to.  But at least Amazon let me return it.

HP Recommended

Wonder if it was simply a mis-package or a vendor rebox? Too late to ask now but curious if the serial number on the outside of the box matched the serial number on the unit.

If you find the information provided useful or solves your problems, help other users find the solution easier by giving kudos and marking my post as an accepted solution.
I am a volunteer, offering my knowledge to support fellow users, I do not work for HP nor speak for HP.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.