Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
photosmart 5520
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

i'm trying to access/download the HP Utility app(?) for my PC like i have on my Mac. is this app available for a PC? i use this app to view ink levels, align, and clean the print heads. if available, how do i access/download it?

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Try installing the HP software and driver for your Win 7-64bit PC from this link:

https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-photosmart-5520-e-all-in-one-printer-series/5157...

It should come with a Printer Assistant software that should give you printer status information. Let me know if this works for you.

Click on the KUDOS button on the left to say "Thanks"

Please mark the post that solves your problem as "Accepted Solution"

I am an HP employee but the views here are my own.
HP Recommended

colinan

perfect!! had to uninstall and reinstall printer/driver (easy peesey) and the process opened something called "HP Printer Assistant" which is same as the "HP Utility" on the Mac.

However........there appears to be no icon for the HP Printer Assistant, so if i close it, I'm not sure how I access it.

Any thoughts on how to access the Assistant other than just minimizing the Assistant window?

HP Recommended

Hello,

There should be a icon of your printer on your desktop. If so, double-click on it and this will open the  Printer Assistant.

You can also access it by going to the Start Menu -> HP Folder > and then select the name of your printer.  I hope this helps!

Please mark the post that solves your issue as "Accept as Solution".
If my answer was helpful click the "Thumbs Up" below to say "Thanks!"

I work for an HP Partner
HP Recommended

Kay_Kay

Tx for the prompt reply. Double click on the icon only gives me "Connect a New Printer" - basically device setup options - no Printer Assistant. I also checked all of the HP folders and none are listed as "Printer Assistant". I do have an icon for "HP Support Assistant" but it does not give me ink levels, alignment, etc. utilities.

Any other thoughts?

neddog

HP Recommended

Hi Neddog,

It sounds like the software has lost its connection to the printer. I recommend you try to re-add the printer. When you get the "Connect a New Printer" prompt, follow the on screen instructions to connect your printer. Hopefully, this will re-establish the link between the software to the printer and will add the printer icon to your desktop (which will open "Printer Assistant' when you double-click).

You are correct that the "HP Support Assistant" is not the same as the "Printer Assistant". To get to "Printer Assistant" from the menu, select the Windows Start -> HP Folder -> <Name of your Printer folder> -> Name of your printer icon. You will see the ink levels in the Printer Assistant. Let me know if this helps!

Kind regards,

-Kay-Kay

Please mark the post that solves your issue as "Accept as Solution".
If my answer was helpful click the "Thumbs Up" below to say "Thanks!"

I work for an HP Partner
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.