Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP OfficeJet Pro 9025 All-in-One Printer
Microsoft Windows 11

In the Printing Preferences of my Officejet Pro 9025, there is not a Printing Shortcut for Envelopes. I have Tray 2 of the printer loaded with #10 Envelopes and I have the Printer configured with this set up (confirmed through Embedded Web Server display).  FYI, the main tray has letter paper.

There is no NEW button in the Printing Preferences window, so I have tried modifying one of the "locked" shortcuts (I used Factory Defaults) and then after making the Tray change have saved it using the Save As... button.  Turns out that when i do this, all the "locked" shortcuts change to Tray 2 destination.  I found out this had happened when a General Everyday Printing setting was chosen by an app wanting to print, and I got a paper mismatch warning because it was trying to print letter size out of Tray 2.

Any help would be much appreciated.  I have a printer which can do envelopes from a separate tray and I can't use!Printing Preferences.jpg

Regards, Mike

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@mike_d177 

Which software do you to create and print envelopes ? That software will select the right format to print automatically. For example

env 10.png

env legal.png

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

@mike_d177 

Apologies for jumping in unannounced.

@banhienis absolutely correct - in the case of envelope printing, and when you can do so, it is generally easier to use software "made for the task" - for example:  Word > Mailings > Envelopes  (Example included later in this message).

What if you must use / would like-very-much to have your own Custom Shortcut?

Disclaimer >> "Keep it simple" is not my strong point - ask anyone - following is an attempt...

Also -- this is typed on the fly - forgive any omissions or errors...

The problem with Custom Shortcuts - as you discovered - is that they are not fully configurable.

The Source / Tray setting is "all or not".

What to do?

• Create your custom shortcut as you like - leaving the setting for Source / Tray as "Printer Auto Select"
  • Next, make sure paper size and type settings are adjusted for each tray in Paper and Tray Management settings (printer front panel or Embedded Web Server EWS)

Next,

Create your envelope document.

For example use Word > Create the document in the shape and size of your envelope.

Save your document

Print the document directly from Word OR optionally Export the document to PDF format.

Examples

Example - Tray and Paper Management - Embedded Web Server (EWS)

EWS_9025_Preferences_Tray_and_Paper_Management_All_7EWS_9025_Preferences_Tray_and_Paper_Management_All_7

Example - Printing Preferences - Everyday Printing >> Custom Shortcut -- Envelope #10

9025_Printing_Preferences_Everyday-Custom_Shortcut_19025_Printing_Preferences_Everyday-Custom_Shortcut_1

NOTE:

The Custom Shortcut works with a Word document created in the size and shape of your envelope.

When the document is Exported to PDF, the custom shortcut works with HP Smart (Windows), and  Adobe Reader DC

Examples

Example - Word > Create Manual Document - Envelope #10

Manual_DL_Envelope_Text_Box_Insert_3Manual_DL_Envelope_Text_Box_Insert_3

Example - HP Smart - (Exported) PDF document - Envelope #10

HP_Smart_w10_Envelope_10_3HP_Smart_w10_Envelope_10_3

What about using Envelope Software?

Example - Word > Mailings > Envelopes > #10 Envelope

Rabbits_and_Chickens_Test_Envelope_10_14Rabbits_and_Chickens_Test_Envelope_10_14

HP Printer Home Page - References and Resources – Learn about your Printer  - Solve Problems

“Things that are your printer”

When the website support page opens, Select (as available) a Category > Topic > Subtopic

NOTE:  Content depends on device type and Operating System

Categories:  Alerts, Access to the Print and Scan Doctor (Windows), Warranty Check, HP Drivers / Software / Firmware Updates, How-to Videos, Bulletins/Notices, Lots of How-to Documents, Troubleshooting, Manuals > User Guides, Product Information (Specifications), Supplies, and more

Open

HP OfficeJet Pro 9025 All-in-One Printer 

Thank you for participating in the HP Community.

Our Community is comprised of volunteers - people who own and use HP devices.

Click Helpful = Yes to say Thank You

Question / Concern Answered, Click "Accept as Solution"

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Thanks @Banhien and @Dragon-Fur for your help.

I agree it is best to use the app to select the appropriate settings (in this case Paper Tray), but the whole problem has occurred because SoftMaker Office 2021's TextMaker (alternative to MS Word) is not handling envelope printing correctly.

I have reported it to them and I got push-back that it is an HP problem, even after pointing out to them that the LibreOffice suite does not have this problem.

For the small number of envelopes I print, it is not worth my time fighting with SoftMaker's support. I have paid for their product and it is great, except for this issue.  I guess I'll just use my free copy of LibreOffice to print envelopes!

Regards, Mike

HP Recommended

@mike_d177 

You are welcome.

Yes, since it works, use Libre Office - excellent choice and the software rarely disappoints.

Free, too.  Smiling.

Thank you for participating in the HP Community.

Our Community is comprised of volunteers - people who own and use HP devices.

Click Helpful = Yes to say Thank You

Question / Concern Answered, Click "Accept as Solution"

Dragon-Fur

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.