Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about cartridges, Click here to check it out!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Officejet 7410
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

I recently upgraded my Windows 7 ultra system to windows 10 pro.  Soon after i began getting a dialog box saying that it was installing HP Photosmart Essential.  It would do this over and over again.  I finally uninstalled all the HP sofware and reinstalled with the latest from the HP site.  Now I can no longer select a default paper tray and am missing other options as well.  Has anyone else had this problem and solved it?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

The following would be the steps I took to resolve this issue:

Clean reinstallation of Pre-installed HP drivers

1.  In Windows, search for and open Programs and features 
  2.  Select your HP Printer 
  3.  Select Uninstall 
  4.  In Windows, search for and open Devices and printers 
  5.  In the Devices and Printers windows look for your HP printer. If you see it listed right-click on it and choose ‘Delete’ or ‘Remove Device’ 
  6.  Open up the run command with the “Windows key + R” key combo. 
  7.  Type printui.exe /s and click Ok. (Note: there is a space in between “printui.exe” and “/s”) 
  8.  Click on the “Drivers” tab 
  9.  Look for HP Printer driver. If you see it Click on it and click Remove at the bottom 
  10.  If you get a "selected driver is currently in use" response, perform the following steps, otherwise continue with step 11

A. Stop the  print spooler in services
    B. In registry open HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\Environments\Windows NT x86\Print Processors\
    C.  Renamed all Print Processors that were listed. Like Winprint to Winprint.old, Hpzpplhn to Hpzpplhn.old, and so on ...
    D. Restart print spooler
    E.Remove driver pack in your step #9

F. stop print spooler
    G. Reopen registry location HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\Environments\Windows NT x86\Print Processors\
    H. Rename back all Print Processors back to Winprint.old to Winprint, Hpzpplhn.old to Hpzpplhn, and so on ...
    I. Restart print spooler

J. Restart Computer

K. Install HP full-featured driver

11.  Select Ok 
  12.  Select Apply and Ok on the Print Server Properties windows 
  13.  Close Devices and Printers, restart the computer.

Click here to download the HP Full-featured driver.

Once downloaded, make sure to run the file to start the installation and follow the on-screen instructions.

Try printing from the required tray.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hi @khriley

Welcome to the HP Support Community. I'd be happy to assist you.

Do you have an additional tray installed?

Try selecting the tray from the printer control panel.

13- Tray Select: Select a paper tray.

Run HP Print and Scan Doctor to diagnose and fix any driver issue

Click here to download the file. Once downloaded, make sure to run the file to start the installation and click on 'Fix printing'.

If the issue persists, proceed to the next step.

3.  Select Uninstall 
  5.  In the Devices and Printers windows look for your HP printer. If you see it listed right-click on it and choose ‘Delete’ or ‘Remove Device’ 
  7.  Type printui.exe /s and click Ok. (Note: there is a space in between “printui.exe” and “/s”) 
  9.  Look for HP Printer driver. If you see it Click on it and click Remove at the bottom 
  10.  Select Ok 
  11.  Select Apply and Ok on the Print Server Properties windows 
  12.  Close Devices and Printers, restart the computer.

Once downloaded, make sure to run the file to start the installation and follow the on-screen instructions.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi @Kumar0307,

Thank you for responding.  I tried your clean reinstallation of HP drivers and followed all steps but ran into a problem at step #9.  When I clicked on Remove at the bottom I got the message: "The specified printer driver is currently in use.".  Even after removing all HP products and restarting I would get the same message at step #9 when I clicked Remove.  I got around this with the following steps before clicking remove in step #9:

B. In registry open HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\Environments\Windows NT x86\Print Processors\
C.  Renamed all Print Processors that were listed. Like Winprint to Winprint.old, Hpzpplhn to Hpzpplhn.old, and so on ...
D. Restart print spooler

F. stop print spooler
G. Reopen registry location HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\Environments\Windows NT x86\Print Processors\
H. Rename back all Print Processors back to Winprint.old to Winprint, Hpzpplhn.old to Hpzpplhn, and so on ...
I. Restart print spooler

J. Restart Computer

I am running Windows 10 Pro 32bit that I upgraded from Windows 7 ultra 32bit

After Installing the HP full-featured driver everything works perfect again.  I can select upper or lower trays and set the paper types like before.  Thanks for your help.  I hesitate to mark your steps as "Accept as Solution"  because at step #9 the driver cannot be removed because it is "currently in use" and other steps must be taken to remove the driver as I outlined above.  Once again, thanks for your help.

khriley

HP Recommended

The following would be the steps I took to resolve this issue:

3.  Select Uninstall 
  10.  If you get a "selected driver is currently in use" response, perform the following steps, otherwise continue with step 11

D. Restart print spooler

F. stop print spooler
    I. Restart print spooler

J. Restart Computer

11.  Select Ok 
  12.  Select Apply and Ok on the Print Server Properties windows 
  13.  Close Devices and Printers, restart the computer.

HP Recommended

@khriley

Glad to know that the issue is now resolved. Feel free to contact us with any concerns related to HP products.

Happy to help!

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.