Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Color Laser Jet Pro MFP M281 fdw
macOS 10.15 Catalina

Does anyone know if HP have developed a printer driver for the Color laserjet pro MFP-M281fdw using an M1 mac? The community posts I've read thus far doesn't look promising

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

@Ralph81

Welcome to the HP support community.

I understand that is trying to install a printer on your Mac with 10.15 Catalina OS, I am glad to assist you.

I see that this printer supports the AirPrint option.

Follow the steps mentioned in this HP document to install the printer using AirPrint:- click here

Keep me posted.

If this helps, please mark the public post as an accepted solution so that it benefits several others.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I'm finding it impossible to install my Color Laserjet MFP M281 printer on my new Macbook Pro (M1Max chip).

My old computer can still communicate and print with the printer, so I know it's not a network issue.

I open the HP Smart app, which recognizes the printer, but says it's not installed.

When I tell the HP Smart app to install the printer, it says "there was a problem during installation" and gives instructions to manually add the printer using the Mac's "Printers and Scanners" system preferences.

When I attempt to do so (hitting the '+' button) the software finds the printer, but when I tell it to install the printer I get an error message, saying the computer is unable to communicate with the printer.

I've searched the community, and the only advice I see is to use the HP Smart app to install the printer. But, as stated above, that isn't working.

My current MacOS software: 12.1

HP Recommended

@letsryan

Welcome to the HP support community.

I understand that you are unable to install your printer using HP smart app, I am glad to assist you.

Update macOS on Mac

1. From the Apple menu  in the corner of your screen, choose System Preferences.
  2. In the System Preferences window, click Software Update. If your System Preferences doesn't include Software Update, use the App Store to get updates instead.
  3. Click Update Now or Upgrade Now:

Update the HP smart app from the app store to fix the issue click here

Keep me posted.

If this helps, please mark the public post as an accepted solution so that it benefits several others.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I'm afraid that didn't work. Those steps were amongst the first I tried when originally troubleshooting this issue. I've tried again, just in case there have been subsequent updates that fixed the issue, but no luck.

It seems there are no appropriate drivers available for M1 Macs. Either that, or there is some other underlying bug which is preventing M1 Macs from working with this printer.

HP Recommended

@letsryan

Install the printer using AirPrint to fix the issue.

Remove and add the printer using Airprint

Click the Apple menu, and then select System Preferences.

Depending on your operating system version, click Print & Fax, Print & Scan, or Printers & Scanners.

Click the name of your printer, click the Minus sign, and then delete the printer.

Select printer and click the minus sign

Click the Plus sign, and then click Add Printer or Scanner.

Click the Use or Print Using box, and then select AirPrint

Select AirPrint from the Use menu

Click Add to add the printer to the list.

Try to print.

Keep me posted.

If this helps, please mark the public post as an accepted solution so that it benefits several others

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

That didn't help.

Airprint is not an option — it auto-selects HP MFP M281 driver, but when I try to change it, there is no Airprint option. (I have tried installing with the suggested driver, but it never works)

The printer has long since been removed from my list of installed printers - ever since it stopped working with the new M1 Macbook Pro. I've tried reinstalling from the Printers and Scanners tab in System Preferences many times, but it always comes back telling me installation failed, or it failed to communicate with the printer.

HP Recommended

@letsryan

This might require one on one interaction to fix the issue.

I request you to talk to HP support.

They might have multiple options to help you with this.

1. Click on this link - https://support.hp.com/us-en/contact-hp?openCLC=true
  2. Select the country.
  3. Enter the serial of your device.
  4. Select the country from the drop-down.
  5. Click on "Show Options".
  6. Fill the web-form. A case number and phone number will now populate for you.

Keep me posted.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.