Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about cartridges, Click here to check it out!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
OfficeJet 5255 Driver
macOS 10.15 Catalina

When I try to download the driver software for my HP OfficeJet 5255 to my newly update Mac, now OS Catalina, the HP Easy Start won't connect to the server so I can't get the driver.  I have looked all over and can't find a fix for Mac OS Catalina and this printer model. Please help!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@RachelM357, Welcome to HP Support Community!

I see that you are unable to download the printer driver on your computer, we can add the printer using AirPrint drivers, here is how you do it-

1. Click the Apple menu, click System Preferences, and then click Print & Scan or Printers & Scanners.

Figure : Example of the Printers & Scanners window

Example of the Printers & Scanners window
  2. Check if your printer name displays in the Printers list, and then do one of the following steps.

• If your printer is listed, remove and re-add the printer to confirm it is set up for AirPrint. Click the printer name, click the minus sign  to delete the printer, click the plus sign , click Add Printer or Scanner, click the printer name and then continue to the next step.

• If your printer is not listed, click the plus sign, click Add Printer or Scanner, click the name of your printer, and then continue to the next step.

• If your printer is not listed in the Add Printer or Scanner window, go to the Frequently asked questions in this document to resolve connection issues, try to add the printer again, and then continue to the next step.

3. Confirm AirPrint or Secure AirPrint displays in the Use or Print Using menu, and then click Add.

Figure : AirPrint displays in the Use menu

Select AirPrint from the Use menu

Always, select the kind as Bonjour Multifunction to be able to use both the print and scan features of the printer.

Try printing.

Download the HP Utility for Mac from here- ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software12/HP_Quick_Start/osx/Installations/Essentials/hp-printer-essen...

You can also install the printer drivers using HP Smart App. Refer to the document for help- HP Printers - Install and Use the HP Smart App (Mac)

Now, coming to the actual issue, you can try a different browser and see if that helps.

Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

@RachelM357, Welcome to HP Support Community!

I see that you are unable to download the printer driver on your computer, we can add the printer using AirPrint drivers, here is how you do it-

1. Click the Apple menu, click System Preferences, and then click Print & Scan or Printers & Scanners.

Figure : Example of the Printers & Scanners window

Example of the Printers & Scanners window
  2. Check if your printer name displays in the Printers list, and then do one of the following steps.

• If your printer is listed, remove and re-add the printer to confirm it is set up for AirPrint. Click the printer name, click the minus sign  to delete the printer, click the plus sign , click Add Printer or Scanner, click the printer name and then continue to the next step.

• If your printer is not listed, click the plus sign, click Add Printer or Scanner, click the name of your printer, and then continue to the next step.

• If your printer is not listed in the Add Printer or Scanner window, go to the Frequently asked questions in this document to resolve connection issues, try to add the printer again, and then continue to the next step.

3. Confirm AirPrint or Secure AirPrint displays in the Use or Print Using menu, and then click Add.

Figure : AirPrint displays in the Use menu

Select AirPrint from the Use menu

Always, select the kind as Bonjour Multifunction to be able to use both the print and scan features of the printer.

Try printing.

Download the HP Utility for Mac from here- ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software12/HP_Quick_Start/osx/Installations/Essentials/hp-printer-essen...

You can also install the printer drivers using HP Smart App. Refer to the document for help- HP Printers - Install and Use the HP Smart App (Mac)

Now, coming to the actual issue, you can try a different browser and see if that helps.

Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks so much, I finally got to use my printer again!  I do want to mention that on the first solution AirPrint didn't show as an option for me, but I used the HP Smart from the Mac App Store and it worked great!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.