Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about cartridges, Click here to check it out!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended

I have an Officejet Pro 9015e and am changing the ink cartridges for the first time to a third party brand. To solve my problem, the instructions to disable HP’s cartridge policy and protection features seem very straightforward— go to “setup” icon, choose “supply settings”, choose “cargo policy”, etc. BUT, my problem is I can not find the “supply settings” menu. It is not anywhere on my dashboard. Do I need to reset to factory settings to find it? Thank you in advance for your help. I’ve spent a long time researching this and can’t figure it out. 

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@sjasac 

Welcome to the HP Community --

We are a Peer-to-Peer Forum for people who use HP Technology.

Open your favorite browser > type / enter Printer IP address into URL / Address bar

Tab Settings > Supplies > Supply Settings > Cartridge Protection = OFF or ON

The Cartridge Protection feature allows cartridges to be permanently protected for use in only one fleet of products or product to help prevent theft. If, after cartridges have been protected, they are moved to a device outside the fleet (fleet based) or to a different printer (printer based), these cartridges will be identified as protected and will have to be replaced to continue printing.

Note:

When you turn on this feature, all cartridges installed in the printer will be protected. However, if you turn off this feature again, these cartridges will remain protected. Only cartridges installed afterwards will not have cartridge protection enabled.

Example - EWS - Settings > Supplies

EWS_9025_Settings_Supplies_Supply_Settings_4EWS_9025_Settings_Supplies_Supply_Settings_4

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

What else?

Reminder:  This printer is not designed to use "third party" non-HP ink cartridges.

If you are asking about dynamic security, that is, the protection placed on the printer to protect it against Non-HP ink cartridges, read the following to understand the policy for HP Dynamic Security.

HP OfficeJet 9010/OfficeJet Pro 9010 All-in-One Printer series firmware update 

Read Section Description

----------------------------------------------------

Which Ink Can be Used in the Printer?

HP Ink - Learn About Supplies

Calls / Provides link to:

HP Printers - Dynamic Security Enabled Printers

========================

HP Printer Home Page - References and Resources

Learn about your Printer  - Solve Problems

“Things that are your printer”

When the website support page opens, Select (as available) a Category > Topic Subtopic

NOTE:  Content depends on device type and Operating System

Categories Alerts, Access to the Print and Scan Doctor (Windows), Warranty Check, HP Drivers / Software / Firmware Updates, How-to Videos, Bulletins/Notices, Lots of How-to Documents, Troubleshooting, Manuals > User Guides, Product Information (Specifications), Supplies, and more

Open

HP OfficeJet Pro 9015e All-in-One Printer 

Thank you for participating in the HP Community --

People who own, use, and support HP devices.

Click Yes to say Thank You

Question / Concern Answered, Click my Post "Accept as Solution"

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

@Dragon-Fur is correct, from the HP Store Webpage feature guide:

Repairatrooper_0-1685641885979.png

If you find the information provided useful or solves your problems, help other users find the solution easier by giving kudos and marking my post as an accepted solution.
I am a volunteer, offering my knowledge to support fellow users, I do not work for HP nor speak for HP.

HP Recommended

Hi, thank you. I did exactly as you said and “disabled” the protection via web services but I am still getting the same error message. I have turned off and on the printer and am still getting the message “cartridges rejected”. 🤷‍♀️ Help! 

HP Recommended

@sjasac 

We cannot help beyond providing the information meant to explain how the policies work.

Cartridge Protection is not going to allow you to use non-HP cartridges.

The setting does not -- and cannot -- override the Dynamic Security protection policy.

Cartridge Protection is meant to keep installed cartridges from being taken from the host printer and used elsewhere.

For example,

Cartridge Protection is useful in a work environment where people are tempted to steal cartridges from a secured printer and use those cartridges in their personal printer.

The printer is intended to use HP ink cartridges.

Thank you for participating in the HP Community --

People who own, use, and support HP devices.

Click Yes to say Thank You

Question / Concern Answered, Click my Post "Accept as Solution"

Dragon-Fur

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.