Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP PhotoSmart C4780
macOS 10.15 Catalina

Something broke with macOS Big Sur last week -- I kept getting messages about frameworks damaging my system -- and I still can't print to my C4780 PhotoSmart. I'm on macOS 11.0.1, Big Sur.

Steps I've taken:

1. Launched HP Easy Start and uninstalled all HP Software

2. Tried to find the right driver in HP Easy Start and got a message, We were not able to automatically locate any software.

3. Went to www.hp.com/Support as suggested, and downloaded HPPrinterDrivers5.1

4. Tried to install HPPrinterDrivers 5.1, and got a message, This volume does not meet the requirements for this update.

5. Somebody in IT suggested I use HP-Printer-Essentials R-5_14_6. It actually installed.

6. Rebooted.

7. Tried to add a printer. macOS seems to know that there's an attached printer -- I get a choice of either USB or Bonjour Shared -- but when I try and select software for it, it just gives me a choice of -- wait for it -- fax machines! I don't know whether to laugh or cry.

I'm assuming that the real problem is step # 4 -- I can't install the drivers. Can someone be a pal and help me out?

Anyone have any ideas?

26 REPLIES 26
HP Recommended

@mprogers, Welcome to the HP Support Community!

macOS 11.0.1 Big Sur is still in Beta version and there are no printer drivers available for this version of OS. You may try updating the macOS and check if that helps.

Keep me posted for any other assistance. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

When will the Big Sur drivers be available.  Big Sur went GM today. 🙂

I'm getting a "This volume does not meet the requirements for this update." when I try to install my P1102w.

Thanks!

-+Tim=-

HP Recommended

@TimB21

For this model printer, HP has not released a driver yet to work on macOS 11- Big Sur. You may click here to check the driver when it is available.

Keep me posted for any other assistance.

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Kumar, thanks for the response but note that tho' I posted to this thread my question was about the P1102w.  Does your answer apply to that printer too? 🙂

-=Tim=-

HP Recommended

@TimB21

Thank you for clarifying. HP LaserJet Pro P1102w Printer has a driver available for macOS 11. Click here to download the same from the HP Support site.

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you for responding.

Unfortunately I purchased a new Epson printer that had immediate support for 11.0 on November 14. The lateness of HP's 11.0 driver vs Epson's and then the lateness of your response was the problem.

-=Tim=-

HP Recommended

Has anyone had any luck downloading this driver??

The HP link directs you to HP Easy Start. which says it has no driver for this printer.

HP Recommended

I had the same problem as Melias1, no driver found.

Come on HP!!!

-=Tim=-

HP Recommended

@Melias1

What model printer are you using?

Is it a Laserjet P1102 or a PhotoSmart C4780?

Keep me posted.

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.