Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Scanjet 3000 s3
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have tried everything I can think of to install the drivers for my ScanJet 3000 s3 on my new computer.  Downloaded it from HP and got the error message: 

"Call to DriverPackageUninstall returned error 5 for package "C;\Windows\System32\driverstore\filerepository\hpwia_sj3000_u.inf_amd64_2f69aabec63417a6\hpwia_sj3000_u.inf": A caller of DriverPackageInstall must be a member of the Administrators group to install a driver package."

The problem is that I am the only person using this computer, so I am the administrator.  I double checked on that.  I also created a second "administrator" account and logged in using that one to see if the install would go through.  Same error.  I also tried, instead of downloading the entire driver package, to just download the actual basic drivers.  Same error.  Please help!!

HP installation error (2).png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I DID IT!!!!  It required one additional step.  When the system told me only an administrator could delete that file I went into the properties of the file and changed the security to "EVERYONE."  I am going to try and enclose 10 screenshots of what I did from start to finish in case it's helpful for anyone.  Running Command Prompt As AdministratorRunning Command Prompt As AdministratorAfter I hit enterAfter I hit enterAfter I cut and pasted the lines from your assistAfter I cut and pasted the lines from your assistThen I tried to remove the driversThen I tried to remove the driversThis is the error message when I tried to remove the driversThis is the error message when I tried to remove the driversThis is the error message saying I didn't have permission to delete the fileThis is the error message saying I didn't have permission to delete the file8.pngThis is an example of changing the settings for the folder (different folder than the one I actually changed since it ended up deleted per my request)This is an example of changing the settings for the folder (different folder than the one I actually changed since it ended up deleted per my request)I selected "YES" to change the settings, then it allowed me to delete the file, the installation went perfectly.I selected "YES" to change the settings, then it allowed me to delete the file, the installation went perfectly.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended
Symptoms

When you try installing or uninstalling the HP Basic Device Software for your printer, a form of the following error returns:

DriverPackageUninstallError5.png

Solution

Note: if you have an HP Computer, follow the steps within the HP PC Solution section and do not follow any further steps within this section

• From the search bar type CMD, right-click on Command Prompt and select Run as Administrator.
  • Copy the following command, then right-click the Command Prompt dialog and select Paste, then press Enter till any command completes
  • processing:
    takeown /f %windir%\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository /r /d y
    icacls "%windir%\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository" /grant %username%:(OI)(CI)F /T
    for /d %G in ("%windir%\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\hpwia*") do rd /s /q "%~G"
    takeown /f %windir%\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository /A /r /d y
    Note: This provides your user full permissions to the File Repository system folder and deletes all HP's folders from within the system folder
    Note: if you receive any Syntax error and your operating system language is in a different language than English, review the following Takeown command documentation from Microsoft for your language and modify the syntax accordingly.

• From the Start menu click the Gear icon, select Apps and uninstall the HP Basic Device Software for your printer.
  • Download and install the latest HP Basic Device Software for your printer as necessary:
    https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/printers

HP PC Solution
  • From the search bar type CMD, right-click on Command Prompt and select Run as Administrator.
  • Copy the following command, then right-click the Command Prompt dialog and select Paste, then press Enter till any command completes processing:
    icacls "%windir%\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository" /grant %username%:(OI)(CI)F /T
     Note: This provides your user full permissions to the File Repository system folder
    Note: if you receive any Syntax error and your operating system language is in a different language than English, review the following Takeown command documentation from Microsoft for your language and modify the syntax accordingly.
  • From the Start menu click the Gear icon, select Apps and uninstall the HP Basic Device Software for your printer and evaluate the error message, then close the Uninstall dialog.
  • Right-click the Start button and select Run, then paste the following path and press OK:

%windir%\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository
  • Locate and delete only the HP Folder listed in the error message.
    Example: following below error message, delete the hpwia_pw477dw.inf_amd64_efa093991b821954 folder as an example:
    DriverPackageUninstallError5HP.png
  • From the Start menu click the Gear icon, select Apps and uninstall the HP Basic Device Software for your printer.
  • Download and install the latest HP Basic Device Software for your printer as necessary:
    https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/printers

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂
HP Recommended

I tried the steps under what to do if you have a HP PC.  When I tried to uninstall the specific file I got another error (potentially saying something similar) which is I need admin permission to delete a file except I AM THE ADMIN!  There aren't any other profiles on my computer.  try #2 scanjet drivers.png

HP Recommended

Did you tool the first commands first, were you able to succeed the first commands or do you get any error during the process?

I refer to the first part of the steps:

• From the search bar type CMD, right-click on Command Prompt, and select Run as Administrator.
  • Copy the following command, then right-click the Command Prompt dialog and select Paste, then press Enter till any command completes processing:

HP Recommended

I did complete that first step.  If I recall correctly, I think it scanned through a number of files and then gave me a new command prompt. 

HP Recommended

Please make sure you run it on an Administrator dialog, I would even suggest to give it another try.

If the same persists, please include a screenshot of the results, if the commands may return any error, so it will be easier to understand what may cause it.

Shlomi

HP Recommended

I DID IT!!!!  It required one additional step.  When the system told me only an administrator could delete that file I went into the properties of the file and changed the security to "EVERYONE."  I am going to try and enclose 10 screenshots of what I did from start to finish in case it's helpful for anyone.  Running Command Prompt As AdministratorRunning Command Prompt As AdministratorAfter I hit enterAfter I hit enterAfter I cut and pasted the lines from your assistAfter I cut and pasted the lines from your assistThen I tried to remove the driversThen I tried to remove the driversThis is the error message when I tried to remove the driversThis is the error message when I tried to remove the driversThis is the error message saying I didn't have permission to delete the fileThis is the error message saying I didn't have permission to delete the file8.pngThis is an example of changing the settings for the folder (different folder than the one I actually changed since it ended up deleted per my request)This is an example of changing the settings for the folder (different folder than the one I actually changed since it ended up deleted per my request)I selected "YES" to change the settings, then it allowed me to delete the file, the installation went perfectly.I selected "YES" to change the settings, then it allowed me to delete the file, the installation went perfectly.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.