Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Deskjet f4580
Mac OS X 10.11 El Capitan

Hi I have spent hours trying to sort this out can anyone help me? I have a new router so now need to reconfigure the printer.  I have downloaded the driver from Apple which seems to be fine, but then I cannot find the software anyware on my computer! So I'm really stuck on how to connect to the printer to change the wifi settings.

Really driving me crazy !!

Many thanks

Melony

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hello, @MelonyB – Hope you are well 🙂

Welcome to the HP Forum! This is a wonderful location to converse with the community, get assistance and find tips!

I understand that you are having issues while connecting the printer to the new router. I would suggest you connect the printer to the wireless network using Wi-Fi Protected Setup. Here are the steps listed below:

Option one: Push button

• On the printer control panel, press and hold the Wireless button for two seconds.
  • The printer starts a timer that allows you about two minutes to press the WPS button on the wireless router.
  • Press and hold the WPS button on the wireless router for several seconds. The printer automatically finds the wireless network and then configures the connection.

Option two: PIN

• On the printer control panel press and hold the Scan button () for two seconds. The printer prints a Wireless Test Report and Network Configuration Page.
  • Locate the WPS PIN on one of the reports.
  • Press and hold the Wireless button for two seconds.
  • The printer begins a timer that lasts approximately two minutes to allow time to enter the WPS PIN.
  • Sign in to your router's software interface.
  • If you need assistance signing in to the router's software interface, contact your network administrator or the manufacturer of the router.
  • Under the router's wireless settings for WPS, type the printer PIN. The printer automatically finds the wireless network and then configures the connection.

Once the printer is connected to the network, follow the steps below to install the printer on your MAC:

1. Click the Apple menu (), and then click System Preferences. The System Preferences window opens.

2. Click Print & Scan. The Print & Scan window opens.

3. Click the plus sign (). The name of your printer displays.

4. Click Add Printer or Scanner.

5. Select your printer, and then click Add and follow the on-screen instructions.

Those steps should do the trick, let me know the outcome!

Good luck 🙂

Please click "Accepted Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

Please click "Accepted as Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

DVortex
I am not an HP Employee

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hello, @MelonyB – Hope you are well 🙂

Welcome to the HP Forum! This is a wonderful location to converse with the community, get assistance and find tips!

I understand that you are having issues while connecting the printer to the new router. I would suggest you connect the printer to the wireless network using Wi-Fi Protected Setup. Here are the steps listed below:

Option one: Push button

• On the printer control panel, press and hold the Wireless button for two seconds.
  • The printer starts a timer that allows you about two minutes to press the WPS button on the wireless router.
  • Press and hold the WPS button on the wireless router for several seconds. The printer automatically finds the wireless network and then configures the connection.

Option two: PIN

• On the printer control panel press and hold the Scan button () for two seconds. The printer prints a Wireless Test Report and Network Configuration Page.
  • Locate the WPS PIN on one of the reports.
  • Press and hold the Wireless button for two seconds.
  • The printer begins a timer that lasts approximately two minutes to allow time to enter the WPS PIN.
  • Sign in to your router's software interface.
  • If you need assistance signing in to the router's software interface, contact your network administrator or the manufacturer of the router.
  • Under the router's wireless settings for WPS, type the printer PIN. The printer automatically finds the wireless network and then configures the connection.

Once the printer is connected to the network, follow the steps below to install the printer on your MAC:

1. Click the Apple menu (), and then click System Preferences. The System Preferences window opens.

2. Click Print & Scan. The Print & Scan window opens.

3. Click the plus sign (). The name of your printer displays.

4. Click Add Printer or Scanner.

5. Select your printer, and then click Add and follow the on-screen instructions.

Those steps should do the trick, let me know the outcome!

Good luck 🙂

Please click "Accepted Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

Please click "Accepted as Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

DVortex
I am not an HP Employee
HP Recommended

Okay I have tried push the button and going through the router interface and it doesn't seem to find the printer either time. The blue light on the printer flashes but nothing!

HP Recommended

Hello, @MelonyB

Appreciate your efforts 🙂

The other option to connect the printer to the network is using the full feature printer driver. Using the full feature drivers, we can temporarily connect the printer using a USB cable and then convert it to the network printer.

But, we do not have the MAC 10.11 full feature drivers for this printer since this is an older model printer. However, if you have a Windows PC, you can try this method. Connect the windows PC on the same network, go to http://hp.care/2oUL237 to download and install the printer drivers. Use a temporary USB cable and convert the USB printer to wireless. Once the printer is connected to the network, you can also install the printer on the MAC.

Let me know if that helps!

Cheers 🙂

DVortex
I am not an HP Employee
HP Recommended

Okay thank you I will try it on my husbands laptop when he gets home later and let you know.

HP Recommended

Hello, @MelonyB

Wonderful! Download and install the printer full feature drivers for Windows from the link I provided above.

Use the USB cable to connect the printer and then complete the printer installation.

Once the printer is installed using the USB cable, follow the steps below to convert the USB to wireless:

1. Right-click the Start button () or the lower left corner of the screen, and then click Search.

2. In the Search box, type HP, and then click the icon for your printer. The printer software opens.

3. Click Utilities, and then click Printer Setup & Software Selection.

4. Click Convert a USB connected printer to wireless or Connect a new printer (the phrase differs depending on the version of software your computer is running) and follow the on-screen instructions to complete the wireless setup.

Once the printer is connected then, log in to you MAC and follow the instructions in my above message to add the printer to your MAC.

Let me know how that goes!

DVortex
I am not an HP Employee
HP Recommended

It worked!!!! Thank you so much for your help

Phew!!

HP Recommended

Hello, @MelonyB

Thanks for the update & Great stuff! Glad to know that you were able to fix the issue 🙂

Please consider marking my post as "Accepted solutions" to help other users with the same issue to find a solution more efficiently. Click on "Thumps up" to give me "Kudos".

Visit us again if you have any concerns!

Thank you again and may you also have a great day and even better tomorrow 🙂

DVortex
I am not an HP Employee
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.