Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
LaserJet 1536dnf MFP
macOS 10.15 Catalina

I can't get past the error message "cannot configure the device software" when installing Easy Start for my LaserJet 1536dnf MFP printer. I have two computers, a 1+ year old Mac Mini and a brand new Mac Air, both running the same version of MacOS Big Sur (11.0.1). Both are on the same home wireless network as my printer. On the new Mac Air, Easy Step installed perfectly and all print and scan functions worked first time. On the Mac Mini, the scanner functions stopped working when I upgraded to Big Sur. Online guidance said to reinstall the printer using Easy Step, but after installing it says "cannot configure the device software". On the Mac Mini have tried:

- resetting the print system

- removing old HP drivers using the HP tool, and removing HP-related cache files and preferences from the ~Library folder

- rebooting and reinstalling Easy Step, more than once

- rebooting the router

On the Mac Mini, despite the Easy Step configuration error,  I can add the printer manually (using +) in System Preferences-Printers & Scanners and the printer works, but not scanning. I seems that there is some step I'm missing on my Mac Mini and I'd appreciate any advice.

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Hi,

First, follow below steps to remove any existing software:

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c06960563

Next, let's try installing below drivers:

https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software12/HP_Quick_Start/osx/Installations/Essentials/ASU/HewlettPac...

Once completing the installation, power on the printer and connect it to your Mac, then open System Preferences > Printers & Scanners.

Select your printer and then select the printer model within the Use drop-down menu, then check if you may print.

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂
HP Recommended

The pkg file you gave the link for results in this message: 

“HewlettPackardPrinterDrivers.pkg” can’t be opened because Apple cannot check it for malicious software.

My problem is not with printing; I have been able to print by adding the printer manually to Printers & Scanners. My problem is that the scanner is not recognized by Image Capture or the HP scanning software. During installation of the Easy Start software I can't get past the "can't be configured" error. As I mentioned, my new Mac Air, running the same version of Big Sur, installed it fine but something on my Mac Mini is blocking it.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.