Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Officejet Pro 8600
macOS 10.15 Catalina

I've read other threads and have tried some of the "solutions" - but nothing has worked so far.  Twice, I've downloaded the "Easy Start" for printing/scanning, and twice it has frozen at the "Install" page.  Frozen so hard that a "Force Quit" was required.

I also tried downloading the installers directly, per links posted in another thread, and in 4 or 5 (or more??) attempts to download these installers, the download quits with "unexpected error" way short of the download completion (~40-something MB out of 130 to 160MB).  

So I'm dead in the water w/ this MacBook Pro (Catalina 10.15.5) and printer/scanner which previously worked great.  (with iMac/Mohave - which died earlier in the week, MacBook is a temp until iMac is repaired or replaced.)

BTW - downloading Easy Start without help files (as I've read in other threads) is not an option - I never got that option when I tried downloading the Easy Start.  It just downloaded the Easy Start which I attempted to run, with results as noted above.

Horribly disappointed that this is so utterly painful and unsuccessful.

Open to other ideas/suggestions......

Thank you.

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hi 

Thank You for contacting HP.

I do understand your concern, however do not worry I will help you with the issue.

The software that you are downloading is a heavier software, I will provide you steps to download a lighter software which is the latest HP software and has much more options than the normal Software.

The software is known as HP SMART.

This can be download as an APP from the APP Store.

The printer and the mac has to be connected to a 2.4 Ghz network for HP Smart to work.

You would also need to just register with you email to use HP Smart and then add the printer on the same network as mac.

Please refer to the link below and download HP Smart from the App store.

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/hp-smart/id1474276998

For further assistance please reply to the post and I will be happy to assist you further.

Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.

*Say thanks by clicking the "Kudos! Star" which is on the left*
Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with "Accept as Solution" if it solves your issue.

I´m an HP employee
HP Recommended

Thank you.  This helps to get me printing, but scanning still needs work.  Prior to this episode, I could scan from the HP printer's touch panel, and even had the option to select saving the scanned image as jpeg or pdf.  Now, I have to open the scanner from the Mac's Print/Scan page (in Finder), and there is no option for the save format.  I was very, very happy with how it worked previously.  Any tips on how to get back to that scanning functionality?  I did see an "HP Easy Scan" at the app store when downloading the HP Smart app.  Could that be it?

Thank you again.

HP Recommended

Hi,

Thank You for replying to the post.

"HP Smart" is the latest software that provides options for Print/Scan along with other various options.

Please use HP Smart.

Alternatively other good applications are "HP Easy Scan" for scanning and you may also use "Apple Image Capture" which provides good scanning options.

Please try any of the above for scanning.

Regards,

I´m an HP employee
HP Recommended

Garry_C,

My problem is partly solved in that I have my iMac back (just needed faulty power supply replaced to repair), so I am no longer using the MacBook Pro.  I am able to print, but my scanning problem remains.

Officejet Pro 8600 - When I touch "Scan" and then "Computer" on the HP front panel touch screen, it tells me "No Computer Found" - even though my iMac is on the same network as the printer.  If it will print from iMac to HP, why won't the HP recognize the iMac when I attempt to scan?

Admittedly, the HP Easy Scan and HP Smart apps do seem to get me to the scanning function, but I desperately want to get back to being able to scan to my iMac from the printer's front touch panel.  This worked perfectly well before the iMac went away for it's power supply repair, unclear why it's not working now.  Nothing was changed on the printer side of the equation and only the power supply was replaced to get the iMac back up and operational.

Thoughts (again)?

Thank you very much.

George P.

HP Recommended

Hi,

Thank you for contacting HP.

There is an OS update for the Catalina OS that will enable the scan from front panel if the HP Easy Scan is installed.

I would first recommend you to update the OS, the front panel scan is supported from macOS 10.15.3 and above.

Then please uninstall HP Easy scan,

Reinstall it on the Imac.

then check the front panel scanning.

Reference link for OS Update

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201541?jumpid=re_r11839_en/PDPalertMacOSHP

Link for HP Easy Scan, (download Easy start and it will help install HP Easy Scan).

https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/swdetails/hp-officejet-pro-8600-premium-e-all-in-on...

The printer should be either on the same network as imac (a 2.4 GHz network) or connected to the Imac via USB.

Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.

*Say thanks by clicking the "Kudos! Star" which is on the left*
Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with "Accept as Solution" if it solves your issue.

I´m an HP employee
HP Recommended

Thank you.  This iMac is running MacOS Sierra 10.12.6.  Scanning from the front panel of the Officejet Pro 8600 was not an issue prior to the power supply failure, so updating to Catalina should not be required to get this functionality back.  (and, tangentially, updating to to Catalina on my MacBook Pro was, in my estimation, a big mistake - really slowed that computer down significantly....)

I'm at a loss as to why this is even an issue.  When attempting to get the MacBook to print/scan w/ the Officejet Pro, I did load new drivers on to that laptop, but did not (I don't believe) change anything on the printer itself.

What I have done here at the iMac is to "Reset" the printer system.  This helped the iMac find the printer and I can now print, but even with both on the same network, the printer (when I select "Scan -> Computer") does not recognize the computer ("No Computer Found" message).  Further, in my "Finder -> System Preferences -> Printers & Scanners" window, I do see the Officejet Pro as a printer, but no "Scan" option is even available - like the iMac doesn't even know that it's also a scanner....

Puzzling.....

Thanks again.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.