Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
macOS 10.13 High Sierra

I couldn't find an Officejet Pro board to add this to, so I chose software/drivers. I've got a new Officejet Pro 8730 AIO, and I am trying to use it with a macbook pro mid-2015 that is running High Sierra. The printing functionality is working fine, and so does copying, but scanning only works for maybe 30 minutes, and then the connection to the scanner is lost and the printer needs to be restarted to allow scanning again.

This printer is conneted directly to the macbook via USB. I have used the HP Easy Start to install the printer, and have tried just using the v5.1 drivers obtainable from Apple. When scanning I have tried using HP Easy Scan, Apple's scanning application, and going to the printer itself, selecting scan, and choosing computer (it says the printer is not communicating on the scanning software, and that the computer is not available on the printer).

I have tried to run the HP Easy Start after resetting the printing system, same issue. I have also purged the macbook of all HP software/drivers, restarted, and then reinstalled the printer, and still the scanning dies.

I have tested this printer on a Mac running Sierra, and it worked 100%. I also know that this printer supports High Sierra, as I found that information through HP.

Are there any other steps to get this scanner working? I feel I'm at the end of the line here.

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hello! Sorry to hear you are having issues scanning. Please follow the instructions in the below document to resolve the issue:

HP Printers - USB Scanner Connection Error (Mac)

You could work your way through the entire doc, or juse use steps 6 and/or 7. Hope this helps!

-- ReverseTalk
I work on behalf of HP.
Click the thumbs up + button to thank me. Mark Accepted Solution if I solved your inquiry.
HP Recommended

I've already tried all of those options (stated in my original post).

HP Recommended

Hi gdanovich,

Just to be clear, your scanner works, but the connection is lost after 30 minutes, correct? So this shouldn't be a driver issue. Can you scan from the printer control panel ok? Do you have the same issue if you scan with Apple Image Capture?

Wondering if its possibly related to the printer's power save settings? You have a Sleep Mode and a Schedule On/Off mode in the EcoSolutions menu on the printer control panel (the little leaf icon). 

And just for kicks, try checking the following items:

• Confirm the printer uses the HP driver: If you originally set up the printer with AirPrint, scanning from the printer is not supported. To change from AirPrint to the HP driver, open System Preferences > Printers & Scanners and note the printer name next to Kind. If AirPrint is in the name, click the minus sign in the Printers pane to remove the printer, click the plus sign to add it again, and then select the printer name from the Use menu to set up the printer with the HP driver.
    Figure : Example of an HP printer set up on the Mac with AirPrint
    Example of an HP printer set up on the Mac with AirPrint
  • Enable the scan to computer connection: From the Printers & Scanners window, click Options & Supplies > Utility > Scan to Computer to enable the connection.
    Figure : Enable scan to computer in HP Utility
    Enable scan to computer in HP Utility

Let me know if any of this helped.

I work on behalf of HP.

HP Recommended

Thank you for the detailed help, but I had checked all of those settings as well. The printer is working on an iMac running High Sierra, with no power settings changed. I'm starting to think it's an issues solely with the macbook that we're trying to connect to the printer. We're in the process of backing up the macbook, and downgrading to Sierra just to make sure.

HP Recommended

Hello,

I understand you cannot scan after around 30 minutes have passed.  Have you tested printing when the scanning function is not working ? The issue sounds like your printer is losing connection to WiFi network intermittently. 

HP PCs - Troubleshooting Wireless Network and Internet (Windows 10)

This document has steps to help the printer maintain a wireless connection. The next time you have the issue start at step 3 "Check the status of the wireless connection" and then follow the rest of the document. 

The Officejet Pro 8730 also supports Airprint and drivers are not necessary. 

HP LaserJet Enterprise, HP PageWide Enterprise - Set up, install, and configure AirPrint - This document shows the printer supports Airprint. 

You should be able to add the printer as Airprint printer in Printers & Scanners System Preference. 

I work on behalf of HP
Regards,
StretchMusic

If the answer provided resolves your issue please press the thumbs up button in order to make the answer available to others.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.