Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Photosmart5520
macOS 10.12 Sierra

I just loaded a new netwrk and changed it on my printer.  Test page says everything is ok, but still says internet is not connected and blue light is not on on the printer.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@tsl1

Welcome to HP Support Forums. 🙂

Let me take a moment to thank you for posting on the HP Support Forums. 

I understand that you have an HP Photosmart 5520 e-All-in-One Printer and the wireless connection does not work on it. The wireless blue light is off and the test page says that everything is ok. Not to worry, I'll be glad to assist you with this case.

I recommend you to perform the following steps to isolate the issue and arrive at a fix: 

• Disconnect the power cable from the printer while the printer is still ON.
  • Disconnect any other cables if connected the printer.
  • Press and hold the printer’s power button for 15 seconds.
  • The printer should be directly connected to the wall outlet and not to a surge protector.
  • Reconnect the power cable to print and the printer should power ON by itself. If the printer doesn’t power ON then please manually power it ON.

Please perform the following steps on the printer's front panel screen:
  1. From the home screen of your printer control panel, touch the Wireless icon .

2. Touch the Setup icon .

3. Touch Restore Network Defaults or Restore Network Settings, and then touch Yes to confirm your selection.

4. After the default network settings are restored, touch the back arrow, touch Wireless Settings, and then touch Wireless Setup Wizard.

The printer searches for available networks.

5. Touch the name of your wireless network.

6. If your wireless network does not display in the list of wireless networks, touch Enter New Network Name, and then type the name of your wireless network.

NOTE: Type the exact network name, including any uppercase and lowercase letters.

7. Type the WEP or WPA key (network password), and then touch Done.

If you do not know your network password, go to Find Your Wireless WEP, WPA, WPA2 Password..

8. Once the printer connects to the wireless network, the blue Wireless light on the control panel turns on solid.

If the issue persists then you may connect the printer via USB for the time being and then convert the USB connection into a wireless connection. The steps mentioned in "Mac" from this HP document should help.

I sincerely hope this fixes the issue. Keep me posted for further assistance.

Cheers! 🙂

View solution in original post

18 REPLIES 18
HP Recommended

@tsl1

Welcome to HP Support Forums. 🙂

Let me take a moment to thank you for posting on the HP Support Forums. 

I understand that you have an HP Photosmart 5520 e-All-in-One Printer and the wireless connection does not work on it. The wireless blue light is off and the test page says that everything is ok. Not to worry, I'll be glad to assist you with this case.

I recommend you to perform the following steps to isolate the issue and arrive at a fix: 

• Disconnect the power cable from the printer while the printer is still ON.
  • Disconnect any other cables if connected the printer.
  • Press and hold the printer’s power button for 15 seconds.
  • The printer should be directly connected to the wall outlet and not to a surge protector.
  • Reconnect the power cable to print and the printer should power ON by itself. If the printer doesn’t power ON then please manually power it ON.

Please perform the following steps on the printer's front panel screen:
  1. From the home screen of your printer control panel, touch the Wireless icon .

2. Touch the Setup icon .

3. Touch Restore Network Defaults or Restore Network Settings, and then touch Yes to confirm your selection.

4. After the default network settings are restored, touch the back arrow, touch Wireless Settings, and then touch Wireless Setup Wizard.

The printer searches for available networks.

5. Touch the name of your wireless network.

6. If your wireless network does not display in the list of wireless networks, touch Enter New Network Name, and then type the name of your wireless network.

NOTE: Type the exact network name, including any uppercase and lowercase letters.

7. Type the WEP or WPA key (network password), and then touch Done.

If you do not know your network password, go to Find Your Wireless WEP, WPA, WPA2 Password..

8. Once the printer connects to the wireless network, the blue Wireless light on the control panel turns on solid.

If the issue persists then you may connect the printer via USB for the time being and then convert the USB connection into a wireless connection. The steps mentioned in "Mac" from this HP document should help.

I sincerely hope this fixes the issue. Keep me posted for further assistance.

Cheers! 🙂

HP Recommended
I’m not sure if my first message went through. Your fix worked and I can print from all my iOS devices – my iPad and iPhone. But I still can’t print from my MacBook Pro. I thought the whole problem was fixed and I appreciated your help but it is still not connecting to the computer. Do you have some other suggestions for that?. In addition, the light by the Internet is still not lit blue???
HP Recommended
Actually the blue light is on, solid but very faint. I removed and added back the printer and the computer found the printer with no problem. It loaded it back on and it shows up fine. I unplugged the printer and started it up again. But it still says it cannot find the printer, it’s offline or disconnected. This is from my MacBook. I still can print from my iPhone and iPad so the network problem is fixed. The right IP address is showing up now. I did notice an extra “1” after the printer name on the MacBook that doesn’t show up on the other devices. Any suggestions?
HP Recommended

@tsl1

Glad to have you back and great news that the printer prints fine from the iPhone and the iPad. 

You have been fabulous to work with considering your superb technical skills and valuable patience. Kudos to you for that. 

However, in your MacBook the printer appears offline or disconnected. 

To resolve printer offline issues in the Mac OS, please perform the steps in the given order from this HP document.

Hope that helps. Do keep me posted.

Good luck! 🙂

HP Recommended
Well, thx for the kudos. I am a bit of a bulldog when it gets to something that doesn’t make sense to me. I’m glad to know HP monitors the forums as it’s helpful. I never used it before. Before I got your response, I did get some of that info from the HP website but nothing was working. I tried to remove and reinstall the printer. First time it found it right away but still didn’t work. I tried it again and it never found it so I put it in manually with the IP address I knew it should have. Voila! Up it came and I’m printing. What I think happened is that when I added the Google Wi-Fi, even though I deleted the other network from my router modem combo, it kept remembering the old network. With the help of Google Wi-Fi tech service, that made sense to me so I had to figure out a way to get the new network into the connection. I had actually thought that something else might be wrong and had gone out and purchased a new printer but fortunately I did one last check before I opened it and I got everything working. Again, appreciate the help because if you hadn’t told me how to reset the networks originally, I wouldn’t have been able to get to the final conclusion.
HP Recommended
I’m all set so I have a solution. Hope it keeps working.
HP Recommended

@tsl1

Great news!

Glad to know that the issue is resolved and hope it remains that way.

I truly appreciate your patience and efforts.

Happy printing! 🙂

HP Recommended
Hi MKazi. Oh, I responded too soon that my issue was fixed. I was so excited that my printer worked that I didn’t notice that the scan feature is not working. I do have my original disk but didn’t want to load it in and mess up the printer. Any suggestions to get the scanner working? It says no computer found.
HP Recommended
I’m going to be leaving this printer for a few months so wondered if you had any suggestions to get the scanner working before I go?
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.