Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Dell XPS 8930
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Using my HP OfficeJet 6958 I can scan documents just fine but I cannot save a cropped scan.  I can save the scan but I cannot save the results of a crop I perform before saving the scan. I could crop and save previously using this printer/scanner.  What has changed?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@TicoBird 

Edits - Add example

Presumably, and it works for some and not others, updating to the latest version of HP Smart might fix it.

What else?

Use a different application while we wait for the HP Smart app to be fixed...

HP Scan and Capture - Microsoft Store (formally Windows Store) - Requires Windows 8 or higher

Example

Scan_and_Capture_Crop_1Scan_and_Capture_Crop_1

Thank you for participating in the HP Community.

The Community is a separate wing of the HP website - We are not a business group of HP..

Our Community is comprised of volunteers - people who own and use HP devices.

Click Thumbs Up to say Thank You.

Question Resolved / Answered, Click "Accept as Solution" .

Dragon-Fur

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

@TicoBird 

Edits - Add example

Presumably, and it works for some and not others, updating to the latest version of HP Smart might fix it.

What else?

Use a different application while we wait for the HP Smart app to be fixed...

HP Scan and Capture - Microsoft Store (formally Windows Store) - Requires Windows 8 or higher

Example

Scan_and_Capture_Crop_1Scan_and_Capture_Crop_1

The Community is a separate wing of the HP website - We are not a business group of HP..

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Thanks for  the alternate solution using the Windows HP Scan and Capture app.  It is a little awkward to use but at least I can save a crop image now.

HP Recommended

@TicoBird 

You are welcome.

Hopefully the HP Smart app will start cooperating.

Check on occasion for a new version.

Welcome to 2021 - hopefully a better year for all.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Happy 2021 right back at you.

I am a big fan of the HP Instant Ink program.  I don't want to upset anything to do with the program which I believe includes the HP Smart application.  Should I  be aware of any special method of updating my HP Smart application.  I am quite hesitant to do anything to update the HP Smart application especially in light of the fact the HP has not contributed anything to explain why their HP Smart program began to malfunction with regard to saving a scan cropped image or an official method for fixing it..

HP Recommended

@TicoBird 

HP is not in the habit of making spurious comments about possible bugs in the Community. 

Anything you see in the Community, in fact, unless it is in the form of an HP document, is based on the opinion of the author of the message.

HP Smart is in no way related to your Instant Ink subscription.

The HP Smart application can be installed, removed, "whatever" and it does not impact your Instant Ink Print-by-Page subscription.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Thanks for the answer.  Having said that, does uninstalling and reinstalling the HP Smart application solve this problem of saving a scan image at this time (1-3-2021)?

HP Recommended

@TicoBird 

At the moment, I kind of doubt it.

I am one of many users.

If something changes, I might not be the first to notice.

What?

I only use the option for testing - I don't normally edit scans "on the way in".

I scan, save, then edit the saved file - that way I have a copy of the original and I have control over the process.

To check the version of your installed HP Smart App

Settings > Apps > Apps and Features 

Search or scroll down to HP Smart

Click on Advanced Options

So, you can try removing (uninstalling) the app > Restart computer > "Get" a new copy from the Microsoft Store

OR

"We wait" and use other software ...

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

My usual Adobe PDF free software wants money to edit a file.  Do you use a free PDF software editing application?

HP Recommended

@TicoBird 

I don't generally edit PDF files.

Were I in need of the option, I think I'd purchase the Adobe Reader Pro version.

That's me - I don't usually need to edit PDF files -- I've not had to decide on the cost compared to the benefits.

What about HP Smart?

This is another one of those things I've done for testing but do not usually need or use.

That said, I am able to get the HP Smart for Windows to "edit" a PDF file - and save it.

For example, aside from crop, HP Smart lets you add Text to a scanned PDF document.

HP_Smart_W10_Scan_Edit_Document_2HP_Smart_W10_Scan_Edit_Document_2HP_Smart_W10_Scan_Edit_Document_1aHP_Smart_W10_Scan_Edit_Document_1aHP_Smart_W10_Scan_Edit_Document_1bHP_Smart_W10_Scan_Edit_Document_1bHP_Smart_W10_Scan_Edit_Document_1cHP_Smart_W10_Scan_Edit_Document_1cHP_Smart_W10_Scan_Edit_Document_1dHP_Smart_W10_Scan_Edit_Document_1d

Here's the thing:

I cannot explain why edit would work for me and not for you (or anyone, for that matter).

Dragon-Fur

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.