Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about cartridges, Click here to check it out!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I don't use a wireless network.  I thought I read this printer could ALSO do wired setup. If so, how do I set it up? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@melelina20

Thank you for posting on the HP Support Community.

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, 

Let's begin with downloading the HP Smart app, and then follow the instructions to set up a USB connection in Windows.

If you already connected the printer USB cable to your computer, disconnect it, and then remove the printer from your computer.

Search for and open Printers & scanners, and then select the name of your printer from the list. Click Remove device, click Yes, and then restart the computer.

Make sure an open USB port is available on your computer. Do not connect the printer to a USB hub or docking station as the printer might not receive enough power to operate properly.

Go to HP Smart - Microsoft Store and install the HP Smart app.

Open the app, and then follow the guided installation to complete the setup. If the setup does not begin automatically, click the Plus sign to add your printer.

And, also you can try with the Alternative USB connection options:

• When you connect the printer USB cable, Windows automatically installs and adds your printer to provide basic printing functionality.
  • Make sure there is an open USB port available directly on your computer. If you use a USB hub or docking station, the printer might not receive enough power to operate properly.
  • Connect the printer USB cable to the computer.
  • If a 'Found new hardware' message displays, follow any prompts to install the driver, and then send a print job to confirm the connection.
  • If the printer connection or print job fails, continue with these steps.
  • Search for and open Printers & scanners.
  • Click Add a printer or scanner.
  • If your printer is in the list, select it, click Add device, and then follow the prompts to install the driver.
  • If you printer is not in the list, continue with these steps.
  • Click The printer that I want isn't listed, and then select Add a local printer or network printer with manual settings.
  • Click Next, select Use an existing port, select (USB001: Virtual printer port for USB) from the drop-down menu, and then click Next.
  • If prompted, click Windows Update, and then wait for the print drivers to finish updating.
  • Under Manufacturer, select HP or Hewlett Packard, and then select the name of your printer.
  • Selecting HP under Manufacturer, and then selecting your printer name
  • Click Next, and then follow the prompts to install the driver.
  • Disconnect then reconnect the USB cable to complete the printer setup.

If you still need additional technical assistance that can be better provided through one-on-one interaction or a remote session with our HP Support team if you would like to continue troubleshooting...

I'm sending out a private message to assist you with the next course of action. Please check your Private message icon on the upper right corner of your HP Community profile Next, to your profile Name, you should see a little blue envelope, please click on it or simply click on this link: https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/notes/privatenotespage

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.
Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Download full software- drivers from hp.com and run setup. You will be asked how would you like to connect select USB and follow the setup.

My profile on LinkedIn

HP Recommended

I can try that once I go into town and purchase a USB cable but I assumed that would be included with the printer so I don't have such a cable on hand.  Plus, I don't want to buy a cable and then it still won't setup which may happen.

So, until I can get into town to Office Max,  I wanted to set it up in a different manner but HP Smart cannot find it. 

I'm going to return it as HP should allow a user to contact a REAL PERSON for help with setup after multiple tries but they evidently just want our money and don't care in the slightest if we can get their hardware to work.  It's a shame as I loved my HP Deskjet 882C printer.  I should have realized that the HP of today is nothing like the HP of 22 years ago when I got my first computer and the 882C printer.  I now see (since I belatedly looked) nothing but negative reviews regarding this and other current HP printers.  I am mad at myself for not doing my homework and just assuming HP printers today are great like my old one was for all these years.

HP Recommended

I just tried to contact HP customer support and got

Access Denied

You don't have permission to access "http://support.hp.com/us-en/search?" on this server.

What the heck is the above?

I do see that HP is so backward that the address is NOT https when it should be...geez.

HP Recommended

@melelina20

Thank you for posting on the HP Support Community.

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, 

Let's begin with downloading the HP Smart app, and then follow the instructions to set up a USB connection in Windows.

If you already connected the printer USB cable to your computer, disconnect it, and then remove the printer from your computer.

Search for and open Printers & scanners, and then select the name of your printer from the list. Click Remove device, click Yes, and then restart the computer.

Make sure an open USB port is available on your computer. Do not connect the printer to a USB hub or docking station as the printer might not receive enough power to operate properly.

Go to HP Smart - Microsoft Store and install the HP Smart app.

Open the app, and then follow the guided installation to complete the setup. If the setup does not begin automatically, click the Plus sign to add your printer.

And, also you can try with the Alternative USB connection options:

• When you connect the printer USB cable, Windows automatically installs and adds your printer to provide basic printing functionality.
  • Make sure there is an open USB port available directly on your computer. If you use a USB hub or docking station, the printer might not receive enough power to operate properly.
  • Connect the printer USB cable to the computer.
  • If a 'Found new hardware' message displays, follow any prompts to install the driver, and then send a print job to confirm the connection.
  • If the printer connection or print job fails, continue with these steps.
  • Search for and open Printers & scanners.
  • Click Add a printer or scanner.
  • If your printer is in the list, select it, click Add device, and then follow the prompts to install the driver.
  • If you printer is not in the list, continue with these steps.
  • Click The printer that I want isn't listed, and then select Add a local printer or network printer with manual settings.
  • Click Next, select Use an existing port, select (USB001: Virtual printer port for USB) from the drop-down menu, and then click Next.
  • If prompted, click Windows Update, and then wait for the print drivers to finish updating.
  • Under Manufacturer, select HP or Hewlett Packard, and then select the name of your printer.
  • Selecting HP under Manufacturer, and then selecting your printer name
  • Click Next, and then follow the prompts to install the driver.
  • Disconnect then reconnect the USB cable to complete the printer setup.

If you still need additional technical assistance that can be better provided through one-on-one interaction or a remote session with our HP Support team if you would like to continue troubleshooting...

I'm sending out a private message to assist you with the next course of action. Please check your Private message icon on the upper right corner of your HP Community profile Next, to your profile Name, you should see a little blue envelope, please click on it or simply click on this link: https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/notes/privatenotespage

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.
Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you but I can't afford to waste expensive gasoline and I only go to town now usually once a week.  I have a doctor's appointment Monday afternoon so I will try to go by Walmart afterwards and purchase a USB cable.

HP Recommended

I told you earlier that HP seems to think I bought this printer in 2017!  So, your link does NOT work and I am unable to contact HP support to return this printer.  I have spent MANY hours trying to set it up today and also bought a USB cable today (insulting that HP is so cheap that it doesn't include a necessary cable).

I appreciate your help...don't take my frustration personally, please!

Do I have to resort to involving my bank in this issue?  I will NOT pay for something I have tried and tried to get set up but cannot.   I want to return it.  No if, ands or buts.

HP Recommended

I solved all the problems I was having with the setup of the 3755 on Windows 10 Pro by finally ignoring that awful HP Smart app and instead using Easy Start app instead. 

I think users should be offered their choice of using either HP Smart app or Easy Start app.

I FAR PREFER the Easy Start app. I found it only by about the third or fourth video I watched on the setup of the 3755.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-deskjet-3700-all-in-one-printer-series/8954253/m...

At the above link, I had to scroll down below "Install HP Smart App" to:

HP Easy Start Printer Setup Software

There it says that only basic function is installed.  But I see FULL FUNCTION of the software.  And the best part is that this avoids the HP Smart App that appears to spy on the user. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.